What is it worth? Not sure where to post...

D7PNY

i understand where you are coming from - good advice from gadget.  PM me if you decide to sell and i might have it off you Dan,  it's a cracking car and my Mrs wants one now :-)

What are folks thoughts on rough guide to value so I can make a more informed decision on the route forwards.

In px rule of thumb I value cars that are hpi registered as previous damaged at 1/3rd less than they should be , thats on tintops, It will be less on a westy and certainly less on a trackcar. I would hazard a guess that the car had it been undamaged would be worth around £8-£8500 tops on that year , I think it would need a decent box to be worth above that, so with a bit of adverse history to the car that a fair valuation would lie somewhere between £7 and £7500 at the top,  condition dependant , in the same breath there isnt a lot of 200bhp track spec cars floating around at the moment so you would maybe catch someone at a higher price that isnt bothered, to be fair some cars have very little damage but due to labour costs are written off, I know as Ive had westys previous and had them back on the road in half a day ! the lower valuation comes as sometimes insurance companies wont cover previous damaged cars and if you ever have a claim they will pay out less. 

• Like 1

Thought this car looked familiar and realised I had been looking at it all month above my desk at work on the club calendar LOLLooks a nice car and good luck should you decide to part with it.

Does that mean it's worth more? ;)

As ever, sensible words from Jeff. It does sound like it might have been a well developed track car at some point, as some of the mods, rose jointing, Titan rack etc are quite rare to see. That said, it sounds like its also been down spec'd to sell perhaps? With gearbox, possibly engine etc swapped for more standard items.

I'd suspect its 'cause things like the 'box fetch reasonable money second hand, whereas the chassis mods left on the car, though desirable to the right person, don't necessarily add that much to the cars second hand value.

In px rule of thumb I value cars that are hpi registered as previous damaged at 1/3rd less than they should be , thats on tintops, It will be less on a westy and certainly less on a trackcar. I would hazard a guess that the car had it been undamaged would be worth around £8-£8500 tops on that year , I think it would need a decent box to be worth above that, so with a bit of adverse history to the car that a fair valuation would lie somewhere between £7 and £7500 at the top, condition dependant , in the same breath there isnt a lot of 200bhp track spec cars floating around at the moment so you would maybe catch someone at a higher price that isnt bothered, to be fair some cars have very little damage but due to labour costs are written off, I know as Ive had westys previous and had them back on the road in half a day ! the lower valuation comes as sometimes insurance companies wont cover previous damaged cars and if you ever have a claim they will pay out less.

Thanks Jeff.Pretty much spot on with what my thoughts were.

You're right about the gearbox being a limiting factor to.

Nice to see I'm on the right track value wise so gives me something to work from.

My thoughts are that I'm not going to get remotely close to the Westfield in terms of performance for the money I'm looking at so possibly could be a decision I'd live to regret...will have to have a good think.

Thanks for all the comments.

Dave

As ever, sensible words from Jeff. It does sound like it might have been a well developed track car at some point, as some of the mods, rose jointing, Titan rack etc are quite rare to see. That said, it sounds like its also been down spec'd to sell perhaps? With gearbox, possibly engine etc swapped for more standard items.

I'd suspect its 'cause things like the 'box fetch reasonable money second hand, whereas the chassis mods left on the car, though desirable to the right person, don't necessarily add that much to the cars second hand value.

Yeah, like I said, it had a caterham 6 speed box fitted to a fairly standard engine before I got it. The previous owner got a high spec redtop to mate to it then decided to sell so put the standard engine back in and sold on the high spec engine and box seperately.

Cheers,

Dave

• 4 months later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread...currently got the car up for sale at 7.5k ono.

Had a good few number of people show an interest but no takers as yet.

I have offered to help with delivery etc if that helps out buyers but appears to be an awful lot of cars for sale at the moment.

What are folks thoughts/perception of a csr up at 7.5k?what would you expect to pay/offer? Could do with getting the car away so not hung up hugely on a few hundred quid either way (started off with cheeky price on pistonheads just to see how it went) and tweaked the price to more realistic price after being up for a few weeks.

Advert needs renewal so undecided what I should do?I always put cars up with ono expecting to be knocked down a few hundred quid but should I just put the price at what I actually expect to get?

Cheers,

Dave

If you have had interest, but no viewings? I would say it's priced about right, difficult bit is if u need a quick sale, then its price to sell.

If you can afford to hold out then do that and you will get get the price u want

I am surprised how many cars are for sale at mo!

Thanks greenstreak,

Yeah,had a few people enquiring about it but no-one's actually viewed it yet. Guess that's down to location mostly.

Not that I 'need' a quick sale but more that I don't want it to be for sale too long if you know what I mean.

Might knock a couple of hundred off the asking price when I renew the ad to help things along and leave it at that.

Cheers,

Dave

I would keep it as it is and add "Make me an offer I can't refuse" to the end of the ad. Put it all in caps. That can mean whatever you want it to.

Cars that seem to cheap don't sell as well as cars that seem to dear.

It's true, human nature on seeing anything too cheap, is usually to ask "what's wrong with it"!

Or, as in the case of the one chap who made on offer last week (on my Audi) ask why it's less than the others and then offer £500 less than my lowest price.

By the way, I went into the insurance office this morning to cancel the insurance on it. I told her "Le voiture Audi". She didn't understand but looked up my file and exclaimed "Ah, le Awdi"

I echo what Jeff said, the write off and something really nice in the spec, such as TB's, gearbox, etc is what's holding it back. I got £6,750 for my 92 SE, which top money for the year and live axle, but it had TB's and trick dash.

I'd start it at £7,495 and see what happens. I would mention in the add you have pictures of the crash damage etc, to prove how minor it was, that will help.

Cheers guys,

Just renewed the advert and tweaked the wording slightly to hopefully make it read a bit better.

Decided to leave the price as is but made a point of mentioning 'reasonable offers' considered even though it already said 'ono'.

Cheers,

Dave

We live in North Wales

So I always finish adds with only 40 mins down A55 expressway from Chester

I think it helps sell items that need collecting if I give a distance from a big town