First Season Newbie Check List - Please Check for me! :-)

Dodgey

Roger,

Nomex underwear/balaclava/socks.

Flask/cooker?

Motivational speaker (I have debbie saying "Is your life insurance up to date"!!!)

Tyre warmers/helium for tyres (make it lighter and reduce unsprung weight so i'm told) 

TTFN

James 

James unless you are just taking the p**s in which case I apologise, but I don't think tyre warmers are allowed in Speed events, may be wrong because its been quite a while since i digested the blue book.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alexander72

• Dodgey

• John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

• Nick Algar - Competition Secretary

Green, i was semi serious until tthe helium bit mate - my apologies.  :-) i'm afriad it's my sense of humour from spending too much time in the woods around Europe  :)

Paul - the petrol question was for precisely that matter - the quantity allowed by the dictatorship, sorry, govenrment in power.  We buy over 100 litres of petrol and  most mornings in 6 large green jerry cans PLUS we carry 250l of red diesel, we have a petroleum licence for storage at yard but we still get the old 15litres maximum rule.

James 

Took her out for a proper spirited blat today (1st time on 888's. Old Yoko A539's before). Wow! I'd forgotten how fast she is!! - As for the rubber, well, it's hard to test cornering without getting arrested, but there is one huge obvious difference that never even occurred to me until today - I can now get away in 1st much cleaner, and when I change to second on full chat there is hardly any wheel spin - there was loads before - often ended up sideways on straights..... The difference in acceleration is very noticeable.  Very pleased :-)  - mind you - the tyres like stones - the wheel arches sound like a spin dryer full of bolts.

Sitting in her and remembering just how fast she is humbled me. Gonna be careful this 1st year :-)

All the official stuff is done - got my WSCC stickers today so put them on along with the ignition and towing stickers. Fitted the timing beam splitter. Fitted my camera mounts with extra failsafe lanyards. Just need a couple of split pins for the harness and I'm done :-)  Now I can sod off to Valencia for Las Fallas and relax, and she's all ready for two days after I get back! :-)

Can't wait! 

The need for open nuts on wheels to show threads is incorrect

You need to have 1.5times the stud diameter available for the nuts to screw onto

If 12mm wheel studs then you only need 18mm to screw nut onto

The need for open nuts on wheels to show threads is incorrect

You need to have 1.5times the stud diameter available for the nuts to screw onto

If 12mm wheel studs then you only need 18mm to screw nut onto

I think I might have had an over zealous srutineer.

I've had a Scrute in the past ask me to remove a wheel nut to prove these is enough thread engagement. I've now fitted one open nut to the car to save any future problems and haven't been asked since :)

Hi - OK, so I think I'm ready.... a list of things I've done and a few questions just to be sure.

FIA approved suit - got

FIA Gloves - got

FIA Snell helmet - got.

Oil Catch tank.... installed

IMG_3227Medium_zps5eef5fa0.jpg

is your catch tank big enough? i thought it had to be 1L capacity. the external measurements of these give a volume of 1000 ml but you then have to take off the thickness of the tank. i only ask as im needing one myself and looked at this type on ebay. most dont give the capacity but the ones that do list it as 750 ml

I think these are a tad under but my research has so far shown that they are widely used and accepted. Don't quote me on it, but I'm confident enough to had bought and fitted one.

Put it this way, they sell them in AC Services in Bridgwater, and Andy (the owner) is a rally scrutineer.....

The only legal tyre warmers are double drivers :laugh:

The only legal tyre warmers are double drivers :laugh:

I like it (Ill have to get the misses her MSA license)

Thanks Rob 

I did try to check but couldn't find it............. 

Thanks a lot

• 2 weeks later...

If it hasn't been mentioned... and I just remembered.   :t-up:

Bring your paperwork and both parts of your driving license...