First Season Newbie Check List - Please Check for me! :-)

Dodgey

Hi - OK, so I think I'm ready.... a list of things I've done and a few questions just to be sure.

FIA approved suit - got

FIA Gloves - got

FIA Snell helmet - got.

Oil Catch tank.... installed

IMG_3227Medium_zps5eef5fa0.jpg

Second throttle return spring - already installed, as I discovered the other day.... This one....

IMG_3225Medium_zps5077dfeb.jpg

...and this one....

IMG_3224Medium_zps6e860345.jpg

I have tested them by removing one at a time and they both close the throttle easily on their own.

Stickers: Purchased

IMG_3223Medium_zpsa5520478.jpg

Can I stick the ignition one on the side of the car rather than on the dash? My dash is a feux leather type of material and I can't see any sticker staying on for long.

The Tow stickers - do I just stick one on somewhere pointing at my roll cage? Or maybe one at the front and rear pointing down to the chassis?

Timing strut: Made one last night.... and similarity to the Chaterham one is entirely coincidental :-)

IMG_3221Medium_zps2bbc85c6.jpg

I believe I have to wrap part of my battery earth lead in yellow tape? is that right?

Finally, I intend to make up number with white insulation tape on the day. I don't want permanent white circles or squares on my car, and I don't want the faff of removing the glue between events.

Have I missed anything? (I have my MSA Nat-b non-race license of course!)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alexander72

• Dodgey

• John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

• Nick Algar - Competition Secretary

Buy a pack of white numbers it's much easier and white tape will just look naff and annoy you, just put on bodywork, you don;t need the white circle. Other than that you look to be there. A few tools, type pump and pressure gauge and get your first event booked up  :d  :d

Dodgey

You have dellortos, they have additional springs acting on the main shaft. You should be able to see them on the inlet manifold side of the carbs, they are approx 1" long.

I have always found them to be accepted, (you effectively have 3 springs)

I dont really like the look of that extra spring you have installed, worried it may jam,

It may/will make the throttle a bit heavy.

Probably worth taking the extra spring just in case tho.

You forgot to mention fire extinguish within easy reach :)

Going through the same list myself

Roger,

Nomex underwear/balaclava/socks.

Flask/cooker?

Motivational speaker (I have debbie saying "Is your life insurance up to date"!!!)

Tyre warmers/helium for tyres (make it lighter and reduce unsprung weight so i'm told) 

TTFN

James 

I was in the same boat last year, as long as you have licence/membership card and roadgoing paperwork ( V5 Insurance MOT and Tax ) and your kit is up to spec then nothing to worry about, just try and relax

The Scrutineers are mainly concerned with your safety and that the car is safe and complies, nothing to worry about and they mostly explain if asked what they are checking for.

Not sure about the Fire Extinguisher though if someone can clarify ? if you are at gurston on the 20th April pop along for a chat I will help anyway I can

Most of all enjoy :)

Thanks all, Yep - I've booked Gurston.

The carb came like it is now so I've not added anything and it feels fine on the pedal. Will have to look for the extra spring! the one that looks "jammy" has been fine - I can see what you mean though.

Fire extinguisher is news to me...

You forgot to mention fire extinguish within easy reach :)

Going through the same list myself

this isn't actually required on a road going car.

Some notes on scrute, which might help . . .

Purpose

Prevent you having an accident (car safety)

Save you from getting hurt if you have one (driver safety)

Make life easier for those rescuing (marshal safety)

(also eligibility  --  they don't normally have time)

(also noise -- always tested, but not during scrutineering)

His inspection takes about 5 minutes -- so they test what they can.....generally . . .

Car Safety (avoiding the incident)

General build integrity (oil leaks, anything loose)

Front wheel bearings

Steering play

Dual throttle springs

Brake fluid

Driver Safety (surviving the incident)

Bulkhead integrity (they don't like large holes which could pass burning fuel)

Fuel tank breather

Battery live terminal insulated

Seat belt condition (inc. split pins) and date labels

Roll-over bar (must comply if fitted)

BabyGro

Helmet

Gloves

Marshal safety (ease of rescue)

Battery isolator

Earth lead (yellow tape thereon)

(Rarely do they look for a tow sticker)

Eligibility

Sometimes, if they have time (or a bee in their bonnet) they may also ask if you have a catalytic converter or look at your tax disc

Either Scrute or sign-on will check your MOT and insurance (if your car is road-going)

Noise

Will normally be tested (see final regs for event for requirements) at the start or end of your first practice run.

edited to add the battery terminal insulation  --  thank you Paul (see below)

Can I stick the ignition one on the side of the car rather than on the dash? My dash is a feux leather type of material and I can't see any sticker staying on for long.

the purpose is to show marshals which way to turn the key (ignition or FIA cutoff switch) so sticking it to the side of the car may not help if the car is embedded in a barrier/hedge etc so try and find a way to fasten the sticker near the actual ignition switch - maybe wrap it is clingfilm and tape that top and bottom to something not wrapped in fake animal skin ;-)

One thing, if a new helmet I think you need to get it separately inspected at first event and they put a sticker on it. I think there may be a small additional charge for this like £5

I might be wrong but this is my recollection from a few years ago at Pembrey when I did my first event

Thanks all, Yep - I've booked Gurston.

Make sure you arrive early and introduce yourself to the other Westfields in the paddock.

One of the more experienced drivers would I'm sure be more than happy for you to join them on a walk of the circuit and offering advice on lines and braking points etc.

Most events have late apexes that you need to be aware of and consciously delay turning in on or you will just tighten the exit and loose time.

A quick google will probably bring up some videos of Gurston for you to watch also.

Might sound obvious but on the start line the green light means you are free to go.  You shouldn't waste time then proceeding but your time only actually starts from when you break the beam.  Reactions don't matter off the start.