Ian Podmore

Agreed if thrust was zero to start with then no front adjustment would be required. It doesn't take much thrust to cause an issue on the front wheels. With steering angle sensors fitted to newer cars this is becoming an issue that need careful attention. Also we carry out a steering angle reset after we have done a wheel alignment to return the sensor to a zero condition with the wheels in a straight ahead condition. It takes less than 5 deg on some cars for this to start causing issues with ABS, ESP, TC and headlamp systems. Gone are the days of Dunlop gauges and hang on laser tracking for modern cars. Those systems are just not up to the job.

As for Kwak Fit not being there to see what happened and the conversation I’m not going to comment on their advise any further. I thought I should just step in to save anybody else an argument re adjusting rear and corrective measures needed on the front of the car. Less than 10’ thrust has been known to need a front adjustment after correction. Particularly if the front of the cars alignment is not perfect in the first place.   

You are right that some situations could lead to front adjustment being required after the rear has been adjusted.

I however could see that the rear toe was OK to start with (just), thrust OK as well, was camber that needed adjusting which I knew without even having the settings checked due to way tyres were wearing. So in this situation there would no be effect to front unless rear was adjusted incorrectly. 

Thanks for all your comments etc.