My Weekend Upgrades, Wings and Diffuser

Doug Dastardly

Evening all,

I've been busy this weekend.

I started with a simple oil and filter change.

Then I removed my cycle wings and added a third stay to stop them banging about. (FBH helped :d

This is them waiting to be welded, I thought about doing them with the stick but decided to get them done by mig as it's better for more delicate welding as there are a few small gaps and it won't leave any slag. I'll get them done this week.

DSCF3712.jpg

DSCF3711.jpg

Then I fitted my rear diffuser which I never got round to last year, too busy driving :westy:

b09470e4-1132-4647-ae98-5d705d65c264.jpg

I've only used three M5 bolts which I'm planning to swap for black plasic ones. You can see the silver heads if you look closely. It feels secure but are these enough for say.....100mph if I do a track day? I know it's mainly cosmetic but how much force will be on it?

Then I went up to the neighbours to drink heineken and gin :laugh:

Roll on spring.

Doug

The swear filter takes out 'the residue left after welding' :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

The white line on the rear is only a photographic quirk.

Very neat weld, Doug - well done! The 'white line quirk' looks like one of those 'lady stickers' that truckers put on their rigs .. .. that what it really is, isn't it, mate?! :oops::laugh:

Looks like nice work doug.. Let me ask you what diffuser have you fitted??

It's westfield's GRP one. I think it's only for FW rears. I doubt it does anything except tidy it up a bit.

Very neat weld, Doug - well done! The 'white line quirk' looks like one of those 'lady stickers' that truckers put on their rigs .. .. that what it really is, isn't it, mate?! :oops::laugh:

:laugh:  It's not welded in the photo! I got them done today by a mate with a mig and a steady hand. I'm more used to welding girders :d

It does indeed look like those stickers :blush:  but it's not, honest. I do have an illuminated scania logo on the rear bulkhead and fairy lights in the windscreen though ;)  :laugh:

• Like 1

With my cycle wings, they came loose after about 800 miles, then I used P-40 from halfords and coated the two supports under the cycle wing... Never moved since and been about 24k!

The diffuser is solely for looks and only benefit I can see is a bit of weight across back wheels! But it does look a lot better with it, so that's good.

There's a mud flap debate going on too... How have you attached yours? Any issues?

Good work there Doug. I'm liking the axle stands there too :laugh: