Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'charging'.
Found 2 results
Thought I would share this, may help somebody? Slight "technical" problem with our motorhome! Which for info is parked on our drive. Awoken recently at 3.00 am by a bang followed by m/home alarm going off. Grabbed a torch, went out to look, found this: (photos taken next morning in daylight) First thought was, some b-----d's part ripped the locker door off and tried to nick the cat! Looking further was faced with this in the leisure battery locker! One of the pair of leisure batteries had exploded, acid and bits of plastic everywhere! Disconnected mains electric hookup, gabbed hose and washed everything down. Checked inside, fortunately batteries are under the floor, no sign of damage inside. Unplugged solar panel regulator to remove this as a potential charging source when it got daylight. With the acid everywhere glad I hadn't been a whimp and had taken one or both our dogs out with me! In daylight, found the force of the explosion had ripped the locker door front hinge fixings out, ripped the front lock out, and left it hanging on the rear hinge! Back and side panel of battery housing (plastic material) had been completely shattered and spread around. Removed intact battery, then remains of exploded battery: Neither local battery fuse had blown, wiring intact. Fluid level in intact battery fine. Built in charging system was on at the time. This can be left on all the time according handbook. In theory monitors and charges/maintains both vehicle and leisure batteries. I tend to put it on and off according to the weather, particularly in winter when the solar panel output is low. Initial thoughts were, has the charging system got a fault? Not sure however as second battery and vehicle battery appear to be ok. Wondering if the battery developed an internal fault and shorted internally? Looking back through my paperwork the batteries are just over 6 years old, but they were "budget"! Always thought a "battery was a battery", seems I'm wrong. Appears internal battery design, has advanced in line with "start/stop" technology. Food for thought!!
Hi there, I've got an SEIW (from 'Wheels' - Chris Middlemass) last year that's running 2l Zetec and twin Webers. For the last ten miles the charging light has started to flicker on once the engine has warmed up. To begin with it revs past 4k and the light stays out. But as it warms up it starts to flicker on at lower and lower revs, anything above 2500rpm. I tested the alternator output before heading out on a test drive and it was returning a consistent 14.2V, and the battery is similarly healthy when it's not under load. So, what's my next step? Am I safe to head out on a 75-mile run? Many thanks for any feedback. Chris