Recommendation for fitting vent

tightscot

Can anyone recommend someone in the Gloucestershire / Wiltshire area who can cut a hole in my bonnet to fit an aluminium mesh vent? I don't trust myself to do the job

Have a go, just mask the area where hole is going, measure about 5 times and cut the hole smaller than you need as you can all ways cut off more.

Have a go, just mask the area where hole is going, measure about 5 times and cut the hole smaller than you need as you can all ways cut off more.

You have no idea the hilarity that suggestion caused in my household "he obviously doesn't know you" through guffaws of laughter - sad thing is they're right.

How big a hole

I marked my bonnet with marker pen,used a hole saw and cut two holes to give me a nice radius at each end and then a jig saw , with a blade for cutting kitchen worktops , to go between the holes

Result was a perfect oval hole

I dressed the edges with wax crayon

The tape thing is important BTW.

No tape and the gelcoat will splinter off around the edges.

How big a hole

I marked my bonnet with marker pen,used a hole saw and cut two holes to give me a nice radius at each end and then a jig saw , with a blade for cutting kitchen worktops , to go between the holes

Result was a perfect oval hole

I dressed the edges with wax crayon

180mm x 100mm oval hole. Would drilling four holes, one at each corner and joining them up be feasible? I've managed to rope in a vehicle restorer to do the job and teach me how to do the next one myself"so hopefully he knows how to do it! Next stop - buy lots of masking tape. Can you drill / cut through the masking Tape?

I know this will be a real noob observation but I'm intrigued as to learn how you get the damn hole in exactly the right place.

The mesh plate is to give a little bit of clearance for the K&N filter over the forward carburettor and as a side benefit get a little bit of air into the engine compartment. It's a fraction too close to the bonnet and the vibration is causing the gel coat to crack.

This is the plate I'm fixing. http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/aluminium-mesh-vent-200mm-x-120mm

I would use a hole saw as close to 100mm as possible and go VERY slowly, you should be able to make two holes and then simply trim out the bits in the middle and finish it off with some "wet'n'dry"..

So (assuming a 100mm hole saw) you basically draw a 180mm long line at the centre of where you want the hole, put a cross line at 50mm and another at 130mm, drill through where these lines cross with a 5-6mm HSS drill bit (pilot holes), then use a 100mm hole saw (not an aggressive one) and start the centre of the drill in these holes.

Test the method on a scrap piece of wood first and when you understand it, mark up the bonnet and "make it so".

Adding a disclaimer............... There are probably other methods, maybe better methods, but this is the one i'd use in the absence of any other suggestion.

Yes, you drill and cut through the masking tape.

I'd suggest completely covering the area you plan on adding the vent, extending the taped protection at least 5cm or so outside the lines you plan on cutting too.

The tap not only allows you to draw on the bodywork safely, it also helps protect it a little from marks caused by the tools.

A hole saw is a great way of doing the ends. It will also mean you've got nice big openings to work through. To cut the straight sections, a Dremmel is perfect, with a cutting disc. But if you haven't got access to one, you can, carefully, use a simple hack saw blade. Heavily wrap one end in tape to act as a handle. (Note the teeth "face" one way, and should face away from you so that they cut when you're pushing the blade away, not when pulling it back).

It's possible to get nice neat, straight cuts like this if you take your time.

Once cut, the edges can be carefully dressed with a file, if necessary, finishing them off with some wet and dry paper will make sure they're smooth, with no little splinters etc.

• 1 month later...

I know this is simple stuff compared to the engineering skills you guys have but I'm pleased with it

image.jpg3_zps9rp4vqir.jpg

• Like 2

I found that using some nice wide masking tape and a fine toothed jigsaw worked perfectly for me when cutting a hole for the air filter. Just started off well inside my original marks and gradually opened it up. You can just make out the 'growth rings' made by grp dust on the filter!

20150602_175633.jpg

20150602_185102.jpg

• Like 1

Nice pics Chris, I used a dremel cutting disc - clean and much easier than I thought!

Nice pics Chris, I used a dremel cutting disc - clean and much easier than I thought!

The hard part is getting up the bottle to attack it in the first place! Took me a few 'long stares' at the bonnet before I went at it :)

Your vent looks pretty cool!