Mazda SDV builders...........

Chris Hooper

I am about to start the strip down of my MX5 after the factory opend day last hurrah. I bought one with a hard top and leather seats so those I can put on eBay.

Has anyone had a luck selling / parting out the rest of the car on eBay ?

Is it worth the bother of selling on the lights ,trim etc with the bother of packing and shipping ?

Your collective thoughts would be appreciated.

MultiQuote

Edit

Blog This

Not something I had to deal with when I got my MX-5 donor as I gave the guy the list of stuff I needed and he kept the rest so I got the price down.

I would put it on eBay as breaking a MX-5 and list the parts you will have left, rather than list each part individually.

You should make a fair bit, it depends on how far you want to go with the hassle of e-baying.  However, the big stuff is straightforward and is worth doing.

I made £100 on the seats, £80 for the wheels £40 on the windbreaker and the same for the tonneau cover and put lots of switches and things on with varying success.  £18 for the rear view mirror was a surprise and someone gave me a tenner for the toolkit.  In all I made nearly £300 which is not to be sneezed at. 

You should make a fair bit, it depends on how far you want to go with the hassle of e-baying.

Same as Mooch, I listed all my items separately but it was worth the effort. I paid £750 for the car and sold over £1100 of parts and I still had all the parts to build the Westy!

Yep, bits like that will go on MX5 Nutz and / or eBay pretty well. Idiots like myself like to crash our MX-5s into other MX-5s and as such things like wings, side lights, doors, bonnets, etc are in demand!

i sold everything and actually made a profit by using ebay as one listing just as breaking mx5. someone brought my whole interior and because i kept all the nuts and bolts and stuff for each thing he gave me extra i think i got 150 for the whole interior excluding the seats sold those seperate for 65 i even sold stupid things like the mud flaps thingys. i sold the windowscreen to a guy who raced mx5s it depends how deep you want to go into stripping it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've made a good start the hard top went this evening for £200. Now to start getting serious

Someone got a bargain there! They usually go for £300+, don't underestimate the strength of the used bits market for MX5s :)

To be honest it has been fitted all the cars life as far as I can tell and is not perfect and for a quick sale I priced it according. The hood is like new. The tonneau is going for £19 at the moment............

I have stripped out and sold two MX5s now, always made more than the car cost. I didn't sell every piece and made larger parts collection only. Lights sell well and a good roof can get you to 50% back in one sale. It breaks into three processes. Ebay good stuff, weigh in for scrap the shell and larger metal items and a final trip to the tip. I did the last one in a couple of weeks all done.