Brake Bias Pedal Box - Top Mounted - SOLD

Spencer

Here you go folks, something perhaps a little different.....

EACBA142-E74A-4523-8779-063BCAD67027.jpg

DEE764AE-8226-4B20-9753-EC3DA31329C2.jpg

E11C1D8D-4EC8-45D1-A474-4CF95EAABDE9.jpg

B9BF7B14-6D40-4AB3-B325-00FC00033174.jpg

8C064DB9-DCD0-45F8-833E-5F34C68E1A2B.jpg

3D329B4D-115C-4EED-8759-EC8B6129F9ED.jpg

73D02B9C-E527-49C1-B361-B428D160F393.jpg

614205C4-EE4B-4405-8BED-6E81CD359FBF.jpg

I had this engineered a few years ago as a way of installing a bias pedal assembly into a chassis that came from factory with a top mounted pedal box and a tandem master cylinder. Uses the original Westfield pedals, modified to accommodate the slider tube for the bias bearing. Everything professionally welded (I'm no welder!).

An alternative option was to somehow install a factory-like floor mounted setup onto the chassis, but without the facility of putting the car up high enough to get under there to weld it in, this was going to be difficult. With the bodywork overlapping the floor panels, this would've meant drilling out all the rivets and remove the main tub to remove it, then drill out the front floor panel to gain access....then also remove the end of the footwell panel to install the panel to mount the mastercylinders....not the work of 5 minutes!

So, instead we got about designing and fabricating this unit, meaning only the scuttle needed to be removed, then welding in new brackets the same as the factory uses to mount the "narrow" pedal box, but of course spaced a little wider apart. A LOT simpler, meaning you can retain a cable operated clutch and not also have to weld in additional bracketry to mount the throttle cable in reverse (per floor mounted pedals).

As you can see, I retained the cable operated clutch, same cable as before, but the unit was designed so that a 3rd mastercylinder could be added at a later date for a hydraulic clutch; there's enough width to re-work it. Brake switch is also retained.

Worked really well, with a remote bias adjuster then exiting out of the right hand side of the pedal box, feeding into the cockpit for a dash mounted adjuster (which you'd need to source - I used a Racetech one which was sold with the CF dashboard a few weeks ago)

Girling mastercylinders, a 0.7 and a 0.75, both fitted with AP Racing tall/narrow reservoirs.

Have just spent today stripping it down for a thorough clean and re-grease, it's ready to go. A few more photos are here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/spenny_b/library/General%20public%20access/Pedal%20Box

(before any smart A*** comments, yes, the throttle pedal was deliberately angled that way!)

Cost of the braking items alone is almost £250 - believe me, it cost me a lot more than that to design and build it, plus the time involved; the likes of Tilton do similar things but are hugely expensive and generic; they'd need a lot of welding/fabricating to mount them.

Looking for £200 + shipping.

Feel free to shoot me a PM or give me a call on 07967 275404

Cheers

Spencer.

I did the same conversion to mine recently, although it doesn't look as neat as that (if only I'd have known about the narrow masters) and I wouldn't undertake such a project again... Suffice to say, £200 is a bargain!

Haha, thanks Adam, indeed, lots of initial prototypes were made before making this unit!....I may well stick up the price a bit if it goes onto eBay  ;)

Cheers

S

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Spencer,

I may be interested in this, are the dimensions the same as the standard top mounted pedal box, ie will it fit to the original chassis mounts.

Cheers Steve

Hi Steve,

No, this unit is wider so that a 2nd (and 3rd if reqd) mastercylinder can be fitted, instead of the stock single tandem m/cylinder.

As it happens I have the stock pedal box carcass still kicking about, I'll measure both.

The principle and method of fixing to the chassis are the same, intentionally. Not a tough job just to remove the scuttle though, then have the 2x new rails welded in place (and the old ones removed of course; angle grinder at the ready...)

Cheers

Spencer.

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.