C20XE Engine with Dry Sump Kit and Exhaust

Lundy

I am changing my engine for a steel internal one with a QED dry sump kit that I have been putting together, so I have the following for sale. This is currently still fitted in my narrow body Westfield and can be seen and heard running. Since fitting this engine I have covered approximately 4000 miles nearly all of which have been done on the road.

Engine

Bought three years ago originally came from a Calibra with 70,000 miles

The engine has been re-bored to 86.5mm

Replaced the main bearings and the big end bearings before I fitted to my car

Fitted ARP rod bolts

I have just completed the following

New head gasket fitted

Valve seals replaced

Valves lapped in

The thermostat, housing and sensors are included.

Crank Sensor included

Crank pulley - square tooth

Standard Cam pulleys

Spark plugs NGK R ZFR6F 11

The distributor blanking plate is included – removing this would allow a distributor to be fitted, should a distributor not be required I will include a ball bearing that can be pressed into the end of the camshaft.

Engine was run on Mobil 1 10w60

The engine has just been compression tested cold for three compression strokes and the results are recorded below in PSI

Cylinder                  Reading

1                                 160

2                                 155

3                                 155

4                                 160

Alternator

Daihatsu Charade (Denso unit which looks sickeningly familiar to the 40A SBD one I have just bought) with mounting bracket which locates it on the LHS, driven with a V belt.

Aluminium single V bottom pulley

Dry Sump System

This is from a Formula Vauxhall/OPEL Lotus single seater which is the same as this one on EBay.

Please note that the sump pan had suffered damage which has been repaired to a high standard. I have had a new boss welded onto the cover plate to allow the oil pressure gauge to be fitted onto the front to provide clearance to the steering column.

The oil pump is driven by a toothed belt from a pulley which attaches to the water pump. The water pump pulley has been machined to accept this.

This photo shows with the dry sump before it was originally fitted

27092010147.jpg

Cam cover powder coated black with breather pipes blocked off (see photos)

Dip stick blank

The oil filter is a Bosch 0451103336

The oil can is 2 gallon capacity with a sight tube this does have a small dent in the top  (see photos)

The catch can is 1 litre capacity with a sight tube has some rivets in the top these were in when I got it and I have no idea why.

All pipes are Teflon braided and have anodised blue and red couplings (the only exception to this is the scavenge pipe to the pump)

IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_2142.jpg

IMG_2150.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

Exhaust

Manifold 4-2-1 mild steel surface corrosion has a home made look about it but works perfectly well.

Silencer, this is from a motor bike(Scorpion) and no longer does much silencing, has a piece welded on the end to direct the gas further back, see photo.

IMG_2144.jpg

I would prefer to sell this as a complete kit but should I not have any interest then I will consider splitting.

£950 Collection Only

very interesting this - good work chap  :yes:   what sort of power is it making? 

Thanks for the compliment. I used to run this engine with a modified head and QED42 cams but I am using these on my new block so I have put the original head and standard cams. I would imagine this should be capable of around 180ish

Should also mention that I am located just outside of Chelmsford Essex for anyone who would want to come and have a look.

Chris

Very interesting thread as I am also installing an XE with the same dry sump installation. Only recently found out that this dry sump installation was used on engines in the Formula Vauxhall Lotus series. Great set up if a little tight to the steering column on a Westfield. Out of curiosity, have you got any more images of that area when it was built up? If you have a look at one of my threads I have posted some images of how tight mine was. It's progressed a little bit since then and should be finished within the next two months.

Hi if you let me have your email address I will send some some photos over of that very area that I took when I installed this. I moved the oil pressure sensor onto the front by welding on a larger boss and blanked off the original location. I used a toothed pulley on the water pump. I modified the oil filter mounting in order to take the bosch filter which is shorter and gives clearance to the engine mount allowing the filter to be changed without any real hassle. I have used this setup for three years now and have never had anything rub so the clearances seem to be sufficient! I mounted the alternator on the right hand side no problems lots of mounting options did not need to use a small unit as there is loads of room on that side

• 2 months later...

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.