F1 data - Schumacher vs Barrichello

AdamR

Found this the other day and thought it was very interesting.

I was never (and still aren't!) sure which F1 drivers were the 'best' and which won because of their cars, but this data kinda confirms he had pretty good skills behind the wheel... (It's a PDF file but it's small and won't take long to download.)

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/media/car/westy/f1racing.pdf

Left foot braking works well on front wheel drive cars but wasn't sure about rear drivers. Shumys car set up is a lot more technical than us mortals could ever do.

Still works well on RWD - weight transfer is affected in the same way so you can still steer the car with the pedals, just doesn't really help with wheelspin on corner exit like it can in FWD.

What I found most interesting was how he 'rides' the throttle during braking, which appears to reduce braking distance due to less forward weight transfer. Pretty amazing!

the data wont make sense without the illegal traction control overlaid ;-)

• Like 2

the data wont make sense without the illegal traction control overlaid ;-)

Just checking, but you know that was (allegedly) the Benetton about half a decade earlier right?!

Jokes aside when was traction control legal? I've totally forgotten now!