PCB Geeks Required

Thrustyjust

Re heaters in garages  slightly off topic but relevant 

Last winter I put a heater in the garage and thought it was great ,nice and warm and the radio on .On the second or third time in my toasty surroundings I noticed water on the floor under the car ,I had a look around and found that all the metal parts of the car were covered in condensation . Basically because the air temp was sub zero or below  the car was at that temp ,when I set my heater to 20 or so degrees it warmed the air around it too quick ,covering my Metal bits  in water .

Now I’m not trying to patronise anyone or teach them physics  I’m new it’s my first garage and garaged car so im just speaking from my experience .We all know metal and water mean rust so I looked into it and came to the following conclusion ,People with heated garages have the heating on 24 _7  for this reason so if your going to heat a garage in winter keep it heated .

I’ve found if you plan when you want to work on the car and bring the temp up slowly you limit the condensation. However if you do feel impulsive which I’m sure a lot of ius do  ,after working on the car open the garage door and run it up to temp then shut the door and the residual heat will burn off the condensation 

Steve

30 minutes ago, Weekend Warrior said:

Re heaters in garages  slightly off topic but relevant 

Last winter I put a heater in the garage and thought it was great ,nice and warm and the radio on .On the second or third time in my toasty surroundings I noticed water on the floor under the car ,I had a look around and found that all the metal parts of the car were covered in condensation . Basically because the air temp was sub zero or below  the car was at that temp ,when I set my heater to 20 or so degrees it warmed the air around it too quick ,covering my Metal bits  in water .

Now I’m not trying to patronise anyone or teach them physics  I’m new it’s my first garage and garaged car so im just speaking from my experience .We all know metal and water mean rust so I looked into it and came to the following conclusion ,People with heated garages have the heating on 24 _7  for this reason so if your going to heat a garage in winter keep it heated .

I’ve found if you plan when you want to work on the car and bring the temp up slowly you limit the condensation. However if you do feel impulsive which I’m sure a lot of ius do  ,after working on the car open the garage door and run it up to temp then shut the door and the residual heat will burn off the condensation 

Steve

I bet any deep thought in thrusty’s garage leaves him dripping in condensation whether the heat is on or not!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Wilfman said:

I bet any deep thought in thrusty’s garage leaves him dripping in condensation whether the heat is on or not!

I’m  sure on full thrust Mr  Thrusty is dripping wet, I’m in no doubt about his credentials as I’ve read his posts and followed his advice .

I was just putting my two penneth in re heating a garage .

• Like 2

I do like getting sweaty in my garage , but not on a level that some may think ;). We do have turbo cycle trainers and a running machine in there too for the women to skinny their hips ( not working !!) . 

On another note, I do keep the humidifier going in the winter to keep the level at 50% , so this will prevent condensation on anything that can rust. I used to have a garage heater on propane, but that was dire with moisture and fumes and had to run with the door open, which was pointless. Electric heaters are good and its not going to be set at a million deg , but as long as I can get above 12 deg in the winter, I can do that . 7 deg was getting a bit numb with my arthritic fingers and knees.

• Like 1