Engine oil drain can

Chester

Hi

Interested in what other owner use when draining engine oil.

I've always used old washing up bowl and then poured old oil into a container before disposing.

For Christmas I was given a 6L oil drainer/can but it will not fit under the sump. I like the idea of the combined container as I don't have to transfer from washing up bowl to can, resulting in the usual spillage!

I can't seem to find a low profile oil drainer/can combined.

It needs to be less that 4" high to fit under the sump.

Any suggestions?

Mark

4 minutes ago, Chester said:

It needs to be less that 4" high to fit under the sump.

Any suggestions?

Mark

Put the car on stands?

I've got a 6 or 8 litre drainer as you have, simply roll the front wheels up onto a couple of short lengths (a foot or so) of decking to raise the sump up two inches.

My oil drain plug is on the right side of the engine so in the past I've had the nearside wheel an inch or so higher than the right one to help drainage.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions.

Did think about lifting the car up but just wondered if there was an easier solution. I have 4 axle stands so could do it fairly easily.

Old oven trays are simple and do the job

34 minutes ago, terry everall said:

Old oven trays are simple and do the job

Was about to say the same thing :yes: :d

I use a oil sucker pump, 12V plugs into the cig lighter on the dash, sucker pipe down the dipstick hole, drain pipe direct into a 5ltr can. very easy no mess. Only drawback may be that the pump may not pick up any sludge etc from the bottom of the sump.

Started using it when I discovered that the sump plug on my xflow was damaged and wouldnt come out easily. I didnt want to risk damaging the sump so used the pump.

I have used the pump on several cars now and it works fine , it saves lying on my back under a car  having to remove the engine tray on my Alfa to get to the sump plug