Nanodrive oil

Weekend Warrior

My car I’m told runs best on 5w40 oil ,and when looking I come across Nanodrive variants ,are they just as good ,better ,what are the advantages or downsides ?

Ive used the search facility but with no joy what do the experts think .

I look at it as just oil with added 'sales speak' on the label. Check the API code in the specification. It should start with 2 letters, the first being S and the second letter is an indication as to how good a quality it is. the higher up the alphabet the second letter, the better it is ie - K is better than J etc

As long as its the correct viscosity and good quality it will be OK. I happen to use the Millers fully synthetic 20/50 (with nanodrive) in my engine as its one of the only fully synthetic 20/50s I can find which is good quality

After much research I put Millers Nanodrive oil in the V8 in the Summer. Spoke to their technical department who were incredibly helpful and ordered from Opie.  Engine runs noticeably more smoothly now and I will definitely be sticking with it - their guidance was really helpful and that kind of advice deserves credit

I've back-to-backed the same car on a dyno with Nanodrive the second set of runs (and having heated the oil to the temp they recommend), no difference in torque or bhp.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, AdamR said:

I've back-to-backed the same car on a dyno with Nanodrive the second set of runs (and having heated the oil to the temp they recommend), no difference in torque or bhp.

That is interesting, Adam. I seem to remember that Steve at Northampton Motorsport did similar, comparing Millers fully synthetic competition oil with an "ordinary" oil as usually used in road cars, and they found the former did give marginally more power and torque. But then again, I can't remember the detail of the conversation now.

I can't say one test proves a case but I'm going to try Millers nano 5W/40 in my zetec next year and see how it performs. (Millers say it is suitable for zetec).

MILLERS NANODRIVE OIL TEST 28th August 2012

https://www.fastcar.co.uk/tuning/millers-nanodrive-test/  is one test done.

Thanks for the replies :yes:

Ill give it a go ,Millers 5w 40 it is .

6 hours ago, AdamR said:

Well.....im shocked! ;)

LOL, wish I could make so much torque from an oil change. Most Fast Car readers can only look at piktures. I detect the words marketing, bull and sh17 in that report on biblical proportions. Nearly as bad as the drivel Steve Hole does for Westfield reviews in his magazines !! 

• Like 1

I work with someone who's always extolling the virtues of Millers Nanodrive, he's always telling me to put it in the Westfield, but I keep telling him I've got to keep it in the crossflow first. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

LOL, wish I could make so much torque from an oil change. Most Fast Car readers can only look at piktures. I detect the words marketing, bull and sh17 in that report on biblical proportions. Nearly as bad as the drivel Steve Hole does for Westfield reviews in his magazines !! 

I reckon Nanodrive oil would double the torque output of your S2000 engine! :ph34r:

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

I detect the words marketing, bull and sh17 in that report on biblical proportions. Nearly as bad as the drivel Steve Hole does for Westfield reviews in his magazines !! 

You really need to let go of the Westfield reviews thing.

Not trying to contradict AdamR; I bought the 5L Nano oil 07dec2017 for £38.21 from Opie on offer with discount code and I will do the oil change in the Spring and see if I can detect any better performance than the Ford (913C) 5W/30 spec oil I have used previously. 

I can't recall which motoring program some years back tested bhp using standard petrol V super unleaded with a higher octane rating and most cars showed no improvement but I do recall a turbo Subaru showing a decent improvement.

I'll see what the future brings.

That's very cheap for a top spec fully synth oil! :t-up:

The Scooby will have improved performance because it had knock detection and an ECU that tweaks timing, so it could make use of the higher RON fuel. Non turbo cars would see much less change, and those without such systems won't see any benefit.

Would love to see an improvement from such oil but... can't see how it can change the laws of physics :d

• Thanks 1

I am somewhat dubious too Adam but I'll give it a try.  I forgot to add delivery was extra. Website said £4.99 delivery and due 12dec but it arrived noon 08dec via Fedex so very good service from Opie oils.

Seems Nano everything is coming soon including nano medicines; let's hope it doesn't spiral out of control.