recommend a socket set!

groucher

hello all,

Well after 27 years of use, my £100 (back then) socket set has about worn out, and I'm looking for a replacement.

I would like a good selection of metric/imperial sockets, regular and long reach, with good quality ratchets too, then the usual extension pieces.

Spanners included would not hurt, but don't want other tools like screwdrivers or bits included.

Anybody got any recommendation on makes or sets available.

cheers

scott

47 minutes ago, darve said:

Seconded, bought the two sets in that thread (which are still on sale!) and they are ace. :t-up:  Ridiculously cheap for something with a lifetime guarantee.  Nice action on the ratchets.  Plus you can have them delivered for free.

As above, Halford's professional stuff is really good quality,and no messing if you need to replace something on the lifetime guarantee they just give you a new piece off the shelf,as long as it's a stock item! :)

Don't Aldi do a 500 piece set for £2.99?:getmecoat:

Halfords is great for the money with no quibble lifetime warranty. i bought Britool many moons ago and although pricey, they do seem to last. Luckily a work colleagues husband has a Snap On lorry, although I haven't mentioned this to the current wife :d 

Another one for Halfords pro. All you need then is perhaps a longer bar for the larger sockets 

You've probably Used the 10, 11, 13, 15 17 and 19 and hardly any oth the others...  you could just buy a new Halfords / britool ratchet and a fist full of sockets...  your set would look much like mine... except I made a wooden case. 

3 hours ago, DamperMan said:

You've probably Used the 10, 11, 13, 15 17 and 19 and hardly any oth the others...  you could just buy a new Halfords / britool ratchet and a fist full of sockets...  your set would look much like mine... except I made a wooden case. 

Depends if you have old oiler engines like Pintos and Xflows , then you will need whitworth, AF and other oddities :p. At least they dont get seized :d

Sorry....    forgot the Roman units... in af and whitworth flavours... it's one serious set to contain them all.   Possibly more than your going to be able to carry.. more of a roller cabinate full....  although I have most across the main and spares sets .  

I am a Snap on Tool Franchisee and I can honestly say the Halfords set is great for the money. I would have it for the weekend kit but I would upgrade the ratchet for a Snap on one.

Only time it becomes a problem is if you are a mechanic working those tools every day of the week, that said providing your local Halfords are ok, they will keep fixing it!

I have had plenty of halfords traded in and I have passed them on to weekend mechanics who love it.

• Thanks 1

This set is very popular back in spain... and has pretty much everything. 

Some fellow weestfield competitors have seen it and used in some events of the speed series and everyone is super suprised for the Quality vs cost.

https://www.amazon.es/gp/aw/d/B000K2PF4Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1506273443&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=mannesmann&dpPl=1&dpID=51eakkGYgnL&ref=plSrch