ECOR for 6 weeks - what fun

Captain Colonial

ECOR = ex-chairman off road :(

After weeks and weeks of work and several thousand quid spent, I was putting literally the finishing touches on the full kitchen refit this afternoon.  Up a step ladder when without warning the steps shot out from under me sideways and before I knew it, I was on the floor on my left side, dazed and confused.

After about 30 seconds, the pain started to get my attention big style.  Within two minutes, I was really suffering and in extreme pain, particularly my lower left arm.

One ambulance ride to A & E later (no blues and twos, how disappointing, but lots of gas and air) and three hours later, I'm home with a broken left ulna fractured just above the wrist, which still hurts like hell.  Worse, with my forearm in a full cast, no driving for six weeks.

First time I've ever broken a major bone in my life, a record I was proud of.  This sucks.

• Sad 3

Damn! Sorry to hear that.

Doh - You are supposed to break your arm to get out of doing the kitchen, not after its finished...

Get well soon, don't suppose you want any of us to weld a pin into it?

Oh no, that's very unlucky :(

Hope the painkillers are working at least.

Sorry to read of your mishap Scott and get well soon.

I searched Google images broken left ulna to find some nasty looking images and none worse than the one with the bone sticking thru the skin.

Ladders best avoided IMO----last time I used one was to trim the Rowan tree but if I had fallen I would have landed on a very springy mossy lawn.

A broken left arm AND unable to drive for 6 weeks - you lucky man. This means that your drinking arm is working and ELC (ex lady chair) has to do the driving, result!

You are right handed? It only works if you are right handed.

I am indeed right handed and I can assure you my drinking hand still works.  It has had a considerable workout in the past 24 hours.

I am mostly aggrieved that I cannot drive The Injected Wench for six weeks - gutted.

The reduction in mobility has reminded me of two Python sketches...

Right in the wing:

It's just a flesh wound...

Sorry to hear that Scott but on the brightside you must have done this at the sweet spot timing wise. To get in A&E have x-ray's and be out in in a cast in three hours is bl**** good going. 

If it was Coventry (Wargrave) regular waits of 4 - 5 hours my daughter tells me who works there often in A&E putting people to sleep.

Hopefully you can finish the kitchen off one handed other wise the sympathy might wear off from you wife. From my experience you might get 1 or 2 weeks of sympathy and then normal service will be resumed. Get well soon

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Captain Colonial said:

I am indeed right handed and I can assure you my drinking hand still works.  

not a euphemism I trust :ph34r:

18 hours ago, marcusb said:

not a euphemism I trust :ph34r:

I assume you mean for holding the nozzle 

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, DonPeffers said:

Any update on the Captain's recovery?

How kind of you to ask! :t-up:

Six weeks on and I had a follow up yesterday.  I’d had a bad Sunday where I accidentally overflexed my left hand at the wrist doing something incredibly ordinary, and it made my pain receptors light up like Blackpool illuminations, which took 36 hours to calm down.  More x-rays yesterday and the 3” long crack in my ulna is healing, but it will probably be another 3-4 weeks before it’s fully sorted.  I had feared some tendon damage but thankfully this seems okay.  So still popping pain killers but slowly getting better. :) 

• Thanks 1

Stick with it and you'll be fine

• Like 1

I read too much booze can inhibit calcium absorption so steady as we go.

Apparently India Pale Ale has the highest silicon level to aid bone recovery.

• Thanks 1