Help me join in

BenD

Barny, you make a good point which is complicated by the fact that many ZZR tyres and Kuhmos are E marked and therefore road legal. As we all know ZZR and Kuhmos are now listed as a 1C tyre. If the ZZR tyres are not road legal then the scrutineer makes a valid point so its safest to get a Logbook

1 hour ago, bunje said:

What does the msa logbook require. Pardon all my questions but I've never been involved in any form of motorsport before. Do you have to pay to aquire said logbook. 

These days its actually called a vehicle passport rather than a logbook.

the application form is actually pretty simple, compared to those you would have filled out at IVA!

the application form here

https://www.msauk.org/assets/vehiclepassportapplicationform.pdf

and the scruiteers guidance notes here give a resonably good idea of what the inspection involves.

https://www.msauk.org/assets/applicationguidancenotesforscrutineers.pdf

• Like 1

It's about £45 I think, £25 to MSA and £20 to the scrutineer who attends the car. It's a really simple process, takes 15mins.

You just call your local scrutineer as listed in the blue book and they'll sort you out.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bunje said:

@Mark (smokey mow) - Joint Essex AO have you just gone through this process with your single seater mark. I can't find anywhere that says how much it is for the passport application. How do you go about getting a scrutineer to fill in the form 

No I've not got mine done yet, but have been reading up on it as hoping to early in the new year.

Contact details for all the scrutineers are listed in the back of the blue book. 

I had a call from someone pre Blyton, (sorry rubbish with names) who asked if I was sprinting, which then got us on a conversation of what was required as I do have a fancy for something with a competative edge. However it turns out my RAC roll bar is not compliant with rose joints. 

The licence, suit and other bits were straight forward, but I just know it would snowball from there.........

Wish I could remember the chaps name.

17 minutes ago, a15cro said:

I had a call from someone pre Blyton, (sorry rubbish with names) who asked if I was sprinting, which then got us on a conversation of what was required as I do have a fancy for something with a competative edge. However it turns out my RAC roll bar is not compliant with rose joints. 

The licence, suit and other bits were straight forward, but I just know it would snowball from there.........

Wish I could remember the chaps name.

You can buy my MSA bar when I get a cage mate. :t-up:

52 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

You can buy my MSA bar when I get a cage mate. :t-up:

But then I'd have two spare when I got a cage lol

2 hours ago, bunje said:

My cage has rose joints at the bottom. Is that still complaiant. It has the msa sticker 

Yes should be fine if it has the correct homologation sticker. Do you know what diameter tuning it is? A photo would help too!

A cage will have larger dia main bars and smaller diagonals etc

Terry was it you I spoke to on the phone just before Blyton?

2 hours ago, bunje said:

My cage has rose joints at the bottom. Is that still complaiant. It has the msa sticker 

It should be yes.  If it is a homologated cage then the MSA homologation number will be printed on the sticker.  You need to record this on the passport application to demonstrate compliance.

Tube diameter is largely irrelevant with a homologated cage as the homologation process allows manufacturers to design a cage with tube sizes and designs outside the dimensional constraints of the MSA blue book since compliance is demonstrated by them by obtaining a calculation report from MIRA.

Just so long as the cage hasn't been modified by the alteration or addition of extra tubes or drilling etc then providing the cage has an MSA sticker this is how you will demonstrate to the scruiteer that the cage is a compliant design.

Edit to add: my posts on this page of my build thread fully explain the homologation process

I ask about tube diameter purely because bunje mentions rose joints, which are not present on the current range of MSA homologated roll bars and cages. While they won't be a problem and Mark is correct that the MSA homologation sticker is the most important aspect, it's good to know what we're advising on. In the event of any query or question from a Scrutineer, tube diameter is a handy fallback point.