Axle Stand Recommendation

BugMan

22 minutes ago, Rhett - Joint Black Country AO said:

I did my initial build on build stands then switched to axle stands later in the process, and I use the axle stands still. I'd got a couple of stands already when I started the build so needed to get a couple of additional stands, in the end I got a couple of eBay. I got a couple of the ratchet type. I have since got a couple more ratchet type. I find the ratchet type useful  because when I lift or lower the Westi on stands I tend to do it in stages and that type is easier to lift an lower than the pin type. 

The recent ones I purchase were from SGS Engineering and I got them as part of a low entry jack and stands pack. Theses stands also have locking pins when makes them slightly safer to use.

re the build I think I dropped if off build stands at the point I was about to put the engine in. 

That's the design I had sort of settled on, as I also have a pair of "rusty" old tube and pin types in the garden shed, which I don't really trust or want to use as they are in a bad state, and was also thinking of the logistics of lifting/lowering the car - great call that settles it for me.

You also need axle stands to support the car once you've jacked it up.

I used 3 folding trestles to support the chassis until it was time to put in the engine.

I know you're not at this stage yet, but I put the front of the car on ramps and axle stands at the back. I don't drive it up the ramps, but use 2 trolley jacks and blocks. 

20170507_102927.jpg

I did most of the build like this

593bb615ecd27_151Firstbodyfit.thumb.jpg.f2dc3f199c63e1abd595b7d734416626.jpg

Then dropped to the floor and used some of the 4 X 2 to support the width of the floors and chiselled slots to lock the axle stands in there, but it was so much easier building as far as I could on the stand with castors. My loft hatch is above the car, so had to wheel outside to be able to get the next box of bots out, but also meant I could push it away from the back wall, to do things that side.

6 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

I did most of the build like this

593bb615ecd27_151Firstbodyfit.thumb.jpg.f2dc3f199c63e1abd595b7d734416626.jpg

Then dropped to the floor and used some of the 4 X 2 to support the width of the floors and chiselled slots to lock the axle stands in there, but it was so much easier building as far as I could on the stand with castors. My loft hatch is above the car, so had to wheel outside to be able to get the next box of bots out, but also meant I could push it away from the back wall, to do things that side.

I like that idea, like you say you could move the build around a bit easier to give access  

43 minutes ago, Rory's Dad said:

Robin - Have you painted your jack to match your car??

No, but I've got a red one and a yellow one, so that makes orange. 

1 hour ago, BugMan said:

I like that idea, like you say you could move the build around a bit easier to give access  

Getting the car up to a decent height is really beneficial. If in a small garage being able to move around is a huge bonus.

I just knocked up a couple of tressles for about 20 quid and were a godsend.

20160803_164616-1209x1612-906x1208.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finding wooden stands are useful. Lowered mine 3 times (quick and easy with a band saw) as build has progressed. Have got as far as first firing of the engine on them. Currently aiming to fit body with car on them.

You can even use them to keep warm when you finish, assuming you've got an open fire or log burner! Eco friendly or what!