Clutch adjustment (Type 9)

Turbonator

Morning all
The clutch on my newly acquired SE is really "Short" - as in its only got about 2" of travel - although it works fine its quite snatchy and awkward to maneuver when parking. 

Is this adjustable?? It' a ford type 9 with cable release. 

The only adjustment I know of is that the cable on the bellhousing is adjusted there. Does the start of the pedal travel feel like nothing as you should have a solid pedal for the complete travel.

From my research the start of the pedal should feel like 'nothing' - if not, then you are constantly engaging the release bearing and it'll wear out. IIRC the Ford manual states around 3/32" (3mm) of free play in the clutch release arm.

Is it an uprated clutch? That would explain the 'snatchiness'.

Yes, dont make it tight, or the release bearing will be running on the pressure plate under pressure all the time and knacker it.

Basically it sits quite close to the floor at "rest", and only has 2" of movement, if that - the clutch is fully disengaged just before it hits the floor.
It just feels very un-natural to me. Im used to quite long travel, like on the TVRs ive had. 

Is there a pedal stop in the bulkhead? 2" does seem short (that's what she said), is that measured or guesstimated?

That's a guestimate - it's not the length, its how toy use it ;-)

Good point, i'll have a look...

Are they top mounted or floor mounted pedals?

You should be able to adjust the two nuts on the cable where they go through the bellhousing.

If you turn the nut tighter so there is more thread showing on the engine side of the bellhousing that will make the clutch release sooner and the pedal will initially be higher. As said you still need a bit of freeplay in the pedal - you should be able to lift it back slightly. But it sounds like you have too much.

Might be the wrong release bearing in the housing. Mine had exactly the same symptoms as yours when I first got it. The first 3" of pedal travel was free with clutch engaging in the last 1.5". Haven't put mine back together yet, but the release bearing cct133 looks much longer on the shaft, thus bringing the pedal further towards me. Hope this helps.

All this is down to lengths of the release bearing carrier, the thickness of the release bearing, lengths of the inner and outer clutch cable and the amount of travel on the pedaI. You could change these items by trial error to see what works and what doesn't but means an engine out and in job a few times. I opted to play with the pedal and cable only. I had to lengthen the fulcrum arm where the cable attaches to the clutch pedal, that increases the amount of travel of your foot between the initial bite of the clutch and fully closed.

As for clutch biting close to the floor, that is the relationship  between the inner and outer cable lengths which can be adjusted but if you run out of adjustment on the threaded bar you need to shorten the inner cable and means cutting the nipple off and moving it along a bit.  Speedy Cables done this for me to my own spec.