Public profile

Alan Cutler (Adge) - Dorset AO

Not sure if this is the correct place to raise this if not please guide me to the right one.

Notice when I raise a post, my profile, includes Membership no. Membership status and Area ( nearest to me I presume). This means the box for the post is rather large, particularly if it is just a one liner!

On my profile the box "only you can see this" is ticked.

I appear unique in displaying this information, nobody else seems to, your advice on what I am doing wrong would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Adge

We can all see our own personal information in our posts but we can't see that of anyone else.

Yep, and the reason you can see it is so you can keep it up to date when you move or change your email address, and we can send you your mags and renewal reminder emails. :)

Ahh! Didn't realise that, apologies for wasting your valuable time. Thanks for prompt response.

Adge

I don't know if your post @Scott Young - WSCC Chairman was before or after your reply, but I wonder (out loud) if the amount of people not receiving their magazines because they have not changed their address at the club is smaller than the amount of people not receiving their magazines because they are under the impression their address is visible to the rest of the world and therefore invalidate it...  Did that make sense?

The number of people overall is very low, but the amount of time it takes to trawl the mailing list for errors or omissions and fix the errors is high.  If people forget to update their address and it gets bounced back, we put that down to the traumas of moving and repost to the new address at no charge.  If someone deliberately deletes their details or puts in inaccurate info, we won't fix it and they won't get the mag.  Most of the time, it's the latter.

That's why I was asking.  Maybe it is better to hide the address details to the member, so they can't mess with it.  How often do members move after all?

The information can be set so that only Administrators can see & edit the Member's personal details.

The downside to that is that (obviously) the member can't then edit their own details.

IIRC, it was originally changed so that members could take responsibility for their own contact details to reduce the (already huge) workload on the poor membership secretary of the day.

3 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - WSCC AO Rep said:

IIRC, it was originally changed so that members could take responsibility for their own contact details to reduce the (already huge) workload on the poor membership secretary of the day.

This is exactly correct.  It is there for the convenience of the member, with the added benefit of reducing workload on the esteemed Mem Sec.

We've now drawn a line in the sand on it here:

i think it's clear enough from that post.  It's only the people who know their info is secure but then delete or wreck their address on purpose who will not get their mags.  It's only going to be 3-6 per issue, but fixing those in the past has been a complete PITA. 

As this seems to be a recurring question/issue would it be possible to differentiate between the public information ie Car Details/My Location and the information that's only visible to you. e.g. we could use different fonts and boldness for the private ad public info or perhaps if could be possible to have a hover pop-up message saying this information is only visible to you