£5 notes.

John Dolan - Wirral & North Wales AO

The new £5 notes are produced using animal fat. If you have a problem handling these notes please send them to me and I will dispose of them free of charge. If you don't want to lick the envelope to seal it (also contains animal products) then electronic transfers to my account will be accepted.

Some unscientific numbers here:

Tallow is rendered cow or mutton fat, but for the sake of argument let's go with cows here.

How much do cows weigh? Between 1,100kg for a male (bull) and 720kg for a female. So, on average, a cow weighs 910kg.

The body fat content of an average cow is 25 percent. Therefore, the amount of fat in an average cow's body is 227.5kg.

How many kilograms of this fat is contained in offcuts you could use to make tallow? About 40kg, according to a man at the James Elliott butcher in Islington.

How much tallow is used in one note, according to the Bank of England? "A trace", which chemically means less than 100 parts per million, or 0.01 percent. A polymer consultant I called confirmed that the tallow present in a given polymer would be a fraction of a single percentage.

New £5 notes weigh 0.7g, therefore there is roughly 0.00007 g of tallow present in one £5 note.

How many fivers are in circulation now, and therefore will be around by May of 2017, when all the old paper ones have been phased out? 329 million notes.

To work out how much tallow will be used in total in all of these fivers, we need to multiply 0.00007g by 329 million, which gives us 23,030g, or 23kg. 

And if you get about 40kg of tallow-worthy fat from the average cow, how many cows would you need to make every single £5 note in circulation?

Just over one half a cow.

How many cows do we slaughter in the UK each year?  An estimated 26 million.

There will be millions of banknotes contaminated by meat products from either the seller or buyer of said meat product who handled the note, plus heaven knows what else anyone's been touching, and I haven't seen or heard of anyone refusing to touch a banknote until they've been disinfected.

People really are hypersensitive muppets sometimes.

• Like 8

How many vegans have you seen refusing to sit on a leather chair, wear leather shoes, have leather handbags, purses, wallets, etc. I've always said, if the maker of animals didn't want us to eat them, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.... each to their own though, if I had to kill the cow myself, I might feel a little differently. 

But this is the way of the world now with social media. It only takes one idiot, or one devoted person, which ever way you look at it to start a campaign and the bandwagon grows especially if there is a celebrity involved. The BOE is spineless and should have said there are a lot of more important things to worry over so we are not changing but hey ho easier to give in and spend money to do something that pleases a very small % of the people. All at the same time making vegans look even more loony to many.

As for them wearing leather etc. I have a friend whose son is a rabid vegan, anti fox hunting anti battery hens, you name it he is anti, yet his Saab has a full leather interior, which he justifies by saying it was already in there so his choice made no difference. 

I have no issue with Vegans until their choice impacts on others which this with the bank notes has.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeff oakley said:

But this is the way of the world now with social media. It only takes one idiot, or one devoted person, which ever way you look at it to start a campaign and the bandwagon grows especially if there is a celebrity involved. The BOE is spineless and should have said there are a lot of more important things to worry over so we are not changing but hey ho easier to give in and spend money to do something that pleases a very small % of the people. All at the same time making vegans look even more loony to many.

As for them wearing leather etc. I have a friend whose son is a rabid vegan, anti fox hunting anti battery hens, you name it he is anti, yet his Saab has a full leather interior, which he justifies by saying it was already in there so his choice made no difference. 

I have no issue with Vegans until their choice impacts on others which this with the bank notes has.

" it was already in there so his choice made no difference. " What a COWardly cop out :getmecoat:

See http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/739093/New-five-pound-note-animal-fat-tallow

New £5 notes offending at least 4 religions--not good.

How many times have we been told that we pay top bankers millions because they are geniuses? After the 2008 financial crash and now this fiasco it makes you wonder.

On 03/12/2016 at 10:16, bollockybill said:

The new £5 notes are produced using animal fat. If you have a problem handling these notes please send them to me and I will dispose of them free of charge. If you don't want to lick the envelope to seal it (also contains animal products) then electronic transfers to my account will be accepted.

you're just trying to get one of these ......http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-38223552

:d

How many of the objectors use soap, I wonder? And do they know what that is made from?

23 minutes ago, stephenh said:

How many of the objectors use soap, I wonder? And do they know what that is made from?

That goes for a lot of stuff... but don't let that put people off.  

I don't really have a problem with vegan etc it's just the sanctimonious BS that it comes with.

I choose to eat meat ... I also try to choose it so that it's ethically sourced. But I'm under no illusion where it comes from.

I don't use soap.

• 4 months later...

After 05 May 2017 you won't be able to spend old paper £5 notes in a shop and will have to change them at a bank so see if you still have any.

The Royal Mint have listened to peoples concerns and the new plastic £10 note will be made from 100% rendered dolphin blubber with a picture of Jimmy Saville on the front. :)

• Like 3

On 01/05/2017 at 08:40, Welly Jen said:

The Royal Mint have listened to peoples concerns and the new plastic £10 note will be made from 100% rendered dolphin blubber with a picture of Jimmy Saville on the front. :)

Mint, plastic, dolphin blubber, Jimmy Saville.

If any of the above cause offence, please look away now.