Car won't start!

hawksa

My 90% complete new build started fine a couple of weeks ago but now I have a problem.

I can hear the fuel pump prime but then the engine just turns over without firing. It's a 2l zetec (no TBs). What should I be checking?

Thanks,

Simon

Are you on carbs or standard Ford fuel injection?

If they've been sat idling on the drive much, with no proper run, they do tend to foul the plugs a little, some engines are worse than others for this. So as Andy said, start by checking your plugs, and while you've got one out, check for a spark.

Check that you've a. Got fuel, (it's amazing just putting 5l in at a time while fiddling on the drive, how fast it goes!) b. That fuel is getting to the engine.

if you have engine management, check that all the sensors are connected properly and that the multiplug is securely in the ecu. In particular, ensure the crankshaft position sensor is properly connected.

Take a plug out and see i its wet

That would mean you are getting fuel but no spark

Right then. I pulled out a plug and turned over the engine. No spark.

The only work that I've done since in would start a couple of weeks ago is behind the dash.

we need to know what electric supply does to the ECU and crank sensor etc so you can trace the 12v supply and signals from sensors

Zetecs get very grumpy with wet plugs and from experience dont recover that well, even by heating up and drying out. Lucky they are cheap to replace.

23 hours ago, Sycho said:

Check all your fuses & see if you have power to the ecu.

The pumps running which must be driven by the ECU.

If you've been messing with dash then check the ignition switch and associated wiring.

11 hours ago, Ian Podmore said:

The pumps running which must be driven by the ECU.

Not necessarily ! Depends on the ECU and how the fuel pump is wired up - I believe the OP is on carbs (he said no TB's) and it's possible the pump is controlled from the ignition (mine isn't controlled by the ECU although it could be - I decided to have a separate switch, relay and power supply).

Would suggest checking the wiring to the ECU and if in doubt run a direct supply from the battery and earth then try starting it.

What is the ECU make anyway?

No idea what ECU you have...My Omex ECU still part worked and switched on and off the fuel pump like normal then the relay in the Omex engine loom had died a death.  (filled with water).   I think if I remember correctly the are 2 live feeds.  One perminent, one switched.     Also the only way the ECU knows the car is turning over is from the Crank position sensor and won't spark until it gets a signal.        Ideally if you can plug in the ECU to a laptop it will tell you all sorts...Like nothing if theres no power to it... 

I have ordered a serial cable which will hopefully arrive soon. Then hopefully I'll get a few more clues from the ECU.

• 2 weeks later...

Right. I managed to spend a few minutes in the garage today whilst I was 'working from home'.

My car still won't start. I unplugged the fuel line after the fuel filter to see if any fuel came through when I turned the engine over. Nothing.

I then connected up my multi-meter to the fuel pump connections. When I turn the ignition to the first position I see the 'prime' signal i.e. 0V then 12V then back to 0V. Does this mean I have a faulty fuel pump?

Simon.

it could mean that but you could also have a faulty crank position sensor. being as you have 12volt at the pump there is power going to the pump. but the you wont get a voltage there until the engine is cranking.

ideally we could do with a little more information on what ecu you have