Westfield Towing Dolly - Trailer

ianht71

Hi Guys

For sale is the towing dolly that i bought just for the process of shuttling the westfield for pre IVA works. My car is now legal and on the road and therefore I have no further need for this dolly

I bought it off ebay about 4 months ago and intend to relist it on ebay to get rid of it. Prior to doing that I thought I would stick it on here and just see if it would help anyone out.

I paid £350 and I am looking for the same back

It is in overall good condition, it has been obviously resprayed but looks pretty smart. It is sprung, it pivots in the centre of the towing bed to make it easier to tow and it is braked

It has two ramps which are not shown in the picture and it is absolutely fine for use with Westfields, even with their low clearances.

The two negative things (but not at all major) is that one of the tyres has a cut in it all the way round. I think the previous owner had the ramps stored off centre hanging on to the tyre and consequently as the tyres turned it cut a groove around the circumference. The cut is in the tread and does not extend deeper than the tread, in other words it is safe and as the tyres wear the cut will disappear. And secondly, the circular handle from the top of the jockey wheel winder is missing. The jockey wheel still works fine

Any questions, please give me a shout. It is located just outside Windsor.

IMG_0478.jpg

Are there any specific rules and regs of using this on the road? Thinking I don't have room for a full size trailer but this could suit for transporting to track days so I can bung spare petrol and wheels etc in the tintop.

I will need to fit a towbar so does this have lights, does it need electrics?

Looks quite high up in the pics, is this due to your towbar being higher than a regular saloon/estate car?

Also, how are the front wheels attached/strapped down and do these come with?

Are there any specific rules and regs of using this on the road? Thinking I don't have room for a full size trailer but this could suit for transporting to track days so I can bung spare petrol and wheels etc in the tintop.

Not 100% sure on the legality, and there are lots of threads about this on the web, but most don't have a concrete source. From what I can make out:

• Both the dolly and westie would now be classified as trailers, so you have to be careful of the "plated" weights - if either are over 750kg then they need to both be braked (i.e. the cars brakes should operate as trailer brakes) - this would be hard to do.
  • Both have to be plated, if the dolly doesn't have a plate then its illegal.
  • The car being towed needs to be taxed, mot'd and insured if any wheels touch the ground (grey area, but this is the current understanding)
  • In theory they should only be used in breakdown/emergency situations, however I don't think this is proven law

In reality the chances of you getting pulled, and even if you do the plod are unlikely to have the first clue as to legality, but it is a risk.

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Tow-dolly-A-frame-towing-device?ugid=10000000009148711

Thanks for that, seems a fair summary.

Westy plated weight is around 900kg so needs brakes, plus its not good pratice to tow with the driven wheel on the floor.

Best pop it back on ebay.

Thanks Guys

Didnt mean to generate negative responses. I thought it was a great solution to my problem of getting my Westy around for a few weeks. Possibly, with what I know now, it wasn't really suitable.

Was just hoping it might have helped someone the same way it had helped me

Thanks for your time and responses and I will now put the item on ebay

Thanks

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

In reality the chances of you getting pulled, and even if you do the plod are unlikely to have the first clue as to legality, but it is a risk.

http://reviews.ebay....000000009148711

One thing that wouldnt be in doubt is the dolly has no mud guards or out board marker lights so you may find it wouldnt take long (if a traffic officer stopped you) to find you`d breached the law wheather the dolly towing thing was legal or not . :suspect:

As I said guys, didn't want to generate negative responses

Dolly is now sold

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.