Engine number (lack of), CATS, and the IVA.....

TIG Brother

Hi guys,

i am currently building a Mazda SDV car, my doner car is a japanse import MX5, which over in japan they do not stamp an engine number into the block, now i have read that i will need an engine number to pass the IVA,  the question is has any one else used an import and how have they got round this?

now is it just going to be a case of having to make one up and before i take the car for the IVA, and i will need to send off my doner car log book to have an engine number put onto the log book as currently all it says for engine number is BP.

the other question i have and things seem to be a little grey surrounding the area is that i want to try and get away without having to use a cat (and also not having to pay out to buy a westfield cat exhaust)

my doner car was originally fitted with a cat, and the date of manufacture for the mazda is march 1995, now according to the IVA manual on availiable to read online, it states that if a car fails the standard CAT test on the IVA they then move onto a 'BAT' test, now that then asks the tester 'can you find the exact emmisions data from the manufacturers data provided for that exact car' if the tester is not able to find this data then he can test the car as a non-cat test for car manufactured before sept 1995,

now again as the car was a jap import and it now has a new unknown/made up engine number, is there any chance he will be able to find the exact data from the log book or the chassis number, as i still need to give him this to obtain my age related plate?

have any of you guys done things that way, or know how i should apporch that part of the test,

many thanks for any help  :)

Hi Rick, welcome to the boardroom :)

Your Eunos engine should have a number the same as the UK mazda's but with 14 years of raod grime and oil it's not the easiest to spot.  On the inlet side of the engine above the starter motor is a small plinth which after a bit of very light cleaning with some fine emry paper should reveal the number.

IMG_1332-1.jpg

If you can prove the age of your engine to the IVA inspector as '95 or earlier then you wont need a CAT fitted, but if you plan do do any sprinting, hill climbs or the speed series in the future then it's worth fitting one now to save future expense.  

If the V5 from your donor has the engine number on it and this matches that stamped on the engine then that should be suffient proof of age.  If however your V5 doesn't have the engine number then you'll need to call the Homologations Manager at Mazda UK to get a written proof of the engine age (costs about £40).  I had to go down this route with my Eunos, only to find that my car had had an engine wap in it's life and the engine was actually from a German car!! :p I ended up fitting a cat!

The IVA guy won't be concerned about wheter you want an age related plate or not and he has no means to find the age/date of manufacturer from the chassis number.  He only needs proof of the engine age so he knows what emissions level to test to, which as above would either be from having the engine number on the donor V5 or a letter from mazda.

When it comes to the DVLA insepction for your age related plate they'll need some proof that the major parts were taken from a single car or bought new.  They accepted my donor V5 (without the engine number!) as suffient proof that the engine, box and diff all came from the same car.  I then declared the chassis, suspension, and steering assemblies as all being new and provided the relevant receipts from westfield for this.

Mark

Hi Mark,

turns out i must have been having a blind blonde moment, altho my engine number is on the exhaust side of the block but it turns out there is one there :D (DOH!)

time to get letter writing to mazda now, and no cat needed, many thanks for your help. also i have to say your pictures on your site have proven to be a very useful reference, good work!! plus the fact you havn't fitted the mazda dash, and the mods needed on the steering rack,

i will be getting up some of my own build pictures very soon now that the engine is fully rebuilt,

many thanks again

turns out i must have been having a blind blonde moment, altho my engine number is on the exhaust side of the block but it turns out there is one there :D (DOH!)

Ah so that makes yours and 1800 which is on the other side to my 1600 :p

If you get stuck with anything on the build or need a photo of something let me know  :t-up:

yeah running an 1800, cheers Mark i might just do that,

will be getting my pics up this afternoon

i did the same as smokey,  Got in touch with mazda uk and got a letter from them proving the age of my engine.  Mine was a mid 92 car so no need for a cat and it fell into (by about 6 weeks) the lowest emissions tests on the IVA.

My V5 from my donor car didnt have the engine no. on it, i hope this wont be to much of an issue next week when i get it registered.

My V5 from my donor car didnt have the engine no. on it, i hope this wont be to much of an issue next week when i get it registered.

I cant see you having any problem, but take your letter from Mazda along to the DVLA inspection.  

If they then query whether the engine came from the donor for which you have the V5, the letter from Mazda should prove to them that both were manufactuered in 1992 and therefore the engine is from the donor.

does any one have the contact details of mazda or who i will need to speek to by any chance ?

speak to the homologantions department on 01322622600 (switchdord)

they will take your details and then ask you to send a covering letter  and a cheque to:

Homologation department

Riverbridge house

Anchor boulevard

Dartford

Kent

DA2 6SL

And make sure you ask them to include the engine and Vin numbers for your donor on the letter.  When I initially got my letter back from Mazda it only quoted the manufactuer date for the chassis and not the date of manufacture for the engine.