Seight with a new owner

kenton

Hi all,

I recently bought a Seight which may be familiar to some of you. I've been into kits for a few years starting at the bottom with building a 2b, this got me hooked. :)  Next I helped build an 11 before moving on to my Luego Viento in which i've done around 45k miles mostly with SKCC on early morning blats and trips into Europe. This is the Seight

IMG_0968.jpg

Since purchase I've fixed all its electrical issues and am about to remove the engine and box to re-route the fuel and brake lines into the tunnel from their current position under the car.

Any info good or bad would be gratefully received.

Kenton

Hi and  :ww:

Yes Welcome! Nice looking car. :yes:

No Info, but I love that car!....I've been keeping an eye on it while it was up for sale....May be of interest, but I'm building an Seight at the moment. It was a kit bought in 2005 and never built...I took ownership and am hoping got have it on the road next year (could be one of the last Seights registered).....Spec is nowhere near what you have though :-( 

Hello. I have a Seight and thoroughly enjoy every minute. Notice your comment about re-routing the fuel lines etc. Mine has the underslung exhaust so the fuel line is already in the tunnel but I would recommend checking out the fuel pump in use. Mine came with the standard redtop but I suffered with fuel starvation at constant high revs/speed so 'upgraded' to a competition redtop pump. Same issue persisted. Changed the fuel line from the standard 8mm external to a 10mm internal (quite a job when working around the exhaust, prop etc). Same problem again. Changed the pump to a high flow Holley pump and BINGO - issue resolved. Noisy but when you start the engine it drowns out the noise of any pump. Back to doing wheelspins when accelerating in 3rd! On the rolling road, achieved 196Bhp and 220 torque.

Thanks for the welcome.

Its not my first v8 kit but I think its going to be the most fun. I'm looking foreward to taking it to the Dolomites nest year for my "Mountain road fix"

Should be around the 320hp mark, Interesting in the wet!

IMG_0974.jpg

kenton

Mine is a V8 Developments 4.6 stroked to 5.1 litre, Stage 3 heads, balanced, lightened flywheel, Jenvey TBs JE Developments dry sump, I currently have it slightly de-tuned to run on ordinary un-leaded.

RR figures for this year were (at the wheels):

330 bhp prior to de-tune 

300 bhp now.

Interestingly V8 Developments bench dyno'd this engine as a 4.6l and recorded 380 bhp, going to 5.1 hasn't unleashed many if any more hp, it does have a restrictive (quiet) exhaust on it though.

I've not noticed any drop in performance on the road as you can't use full throttle most of the time, interestingly the peak torque figure only slightly from 380 to 370 lbft (IIRC).

with over 200 lbft available from 1200 rpm, I have the limiter set at 5600 rpm although the engine is good for 6500.

Of course I take BHP figures with a pinch of salt, so all I would say about mine is that it is more than sufficient for a Westfield, what actually matters is how the engine behaves and it's driveability, the cars set up and of course the driver, I'm not a fast driver, nor talented so the car is never pushed to it's limits with me. 

Overtaking is a doddle even in 5th, 1st gear is for moving it around on tickover unless you like the smell of burning rubber and an empty wallet, and driving in the wet, yes, carefully.

Your trip into the Dolemites sounds perfect for the car :d  

ETA; the cars spec and set up is a credit to the builder, I didn't build it.

Edited by Yanto
  • Like 1

Hi Ian, I seem to remember you car, I think it may have been you that was on the Eurotunnel in the summer of 2014. 

I may be wrong, I often am.

Kenton