Rollbar vs Hood

benlindley

I know a few that have had their own made now, with quite successful results. There's also the Soft Bits For Sevens Half Hood, which is available inversions for all the main single hoop roll bar designs from Westfield. Whilst Westfield themselves have Half Hood options for RAC and MSA bars, plus one for the full cage.

would be interested to see some of the custom made efforts - logically this could mean a full hood for the MSA bar if i were to go the whole hog?

Had soft bits cover for my elise and was very happy with the quality and fit, may hit them up!

Anything is possible if you find a good trimmer who's willing to put the effort in measuring etc. I suspect the cost will be very high though for a full one off roof.

Apologies if I came across pompous to anyone regarding my comments about the standard roll bar. It's a personal choice and let's face facts we don't drive a 7 or any other kit for its ncap safety record! Just makes me shudder seeing those 2 bolts holding the whole roll over protection. Granted would have to be a freak accident to end upside down anyway but you never know.

would be interested to see some of the custom made efforts - logically this could mean a full hood for the MSA bar if i were to go the whole hog?

Had soft bits cover for my elise and was very happy with the quality and fit, may hit them up!

Had a quote from Autotrim in Manchester circa £1000 for a full hood made to measure.

Having seen their work would fully expect it to be much better than original hood, but still 'the cost'

Anything is possible if you find a good trimmer who's willing to put the effort in measuring etc. I suspect the cost will be very high though for a full one off roof.

Apologies if I came across pompous to anyone regarding my comments about the standard roll bar. It's a personal choice and let's face facts we don't drive a 7 or any other kit for its ncap safety record! Just makes me shudder seeing those 2 bolts holding the whole roll over protection. Granted would have to be a freak accident to end upside down anyway but you never know.

You didn't, and I fully recognise it's an imotive subject! But we were starting to teeter at the point where things start to go down hill fast as far as new posts go!! Even I've had personal abuse in threads for daring to suggest anything below full cross strutted bedstead level of protection!

It helps, by the way if you think of the standard cosmetic bar as more of a helpful handle for getting in and out of the car :p:d

You can get a half hood custom made for reasonable money, depending on the level of detail/complexity I've heard of people having them done for around £200 +/- £50 or so... Never had a price for a full hood, though I've started to think about it more and more! £1000 or so doesn't surprise me though.

A Westfield is never going to be entirely weather tight, the basic design prevents that, but there is much that can be done to improve things. One suggestion I would make if you're thinking of having the MSA bar and a custom half hood, go for the deeper Sport Turbo windscreen and the matching, taller Sport Turbo doors. The windscreen has a higher top rail, so better sight lines etc, but the ST doors have lots of modifications to improve weather resistance. (Admittedly, some of the mods are designed to work with the Sport Turbo roof, which won't fit, but you could have the half hood, (or even a full hood) made to take advantage of them.

Had a quote from Autotrim in Manchester circa £1000 for a full hood made to measure.

Having seen their work would fully expect it to be much better than original hood, but still 'the cost'

Ouch!

Have spoken to Simon at the factory and I am going MSA Bar - thanks for all your sage advice. I may even modify the half hood as an option

​Interested in the Sport Turbo Windscreen - is that a factory option and does the half roof then not fit?

You are all very helpful!

The ST windscreen is a factory option, as are the doors. The factory half hood might technically fit, but don't know how well!

• Like 1

I am 6ft2 in a narrow without lowered floor, with aftermarket braced rollover bar. This works for me but the top of the screen and doors are right on the eye line so a taller screen would be a bonus, not sure how the wide body is.

If you have a decorative only, you get the hood, which was fun if not dry. However as I use the car hard, fast road, autotesting and some track days if not as many as I thought I decided it wasn't for me. I don't drive like a nutter and the risk of rollover is still small but as said, everyone makes their own choice.

Daniel