The NHS really IS broken

Yanto

Where I used to live until about four years ago there was at least one private-only GP surgery. There were two NHS surgeries as well.

If my asthma is worse and I phone for a doctor appointment I'm often told earliest appointment is 6 days away. Unable to wait 6 days I simply turn up at the surgery and tell them I will wait until there is a no show and then please slot me in there.

We are constantly told that money is wasted by no shows so it seemed reasonable just to turn up and the result is I am seen fairly promptly and without a lengthy wait.

UK spends about 9% of GDP on health whereas it is over 11% in France, Germany, Sweden and over 17% in USA .

I think it is time for all politicians to be honest and admit some additional taxation or payment system is needed to fund the NHS.

It's no wonder hospital A & E departments are swamped by those unable to see their doctor.

Is that figure of 9% of GDP in UK just the NHS spending, or does it include all the money spent on private cover as well?

Interesting variables there by a lot of people.

Well, today Jen phoned at 08:15, and got an appointment at 14:50, she was back home at 15:30 after being told to "go and get an x-ray TODAY and why didn't she make an appointment sooner"?

The x-ray is at the local hospital, they do GP referral X-Rays between 08:30 and 16:00 and again between 17:30 and 19:30, so we turned up, there was a bit of a problem because she hadn't been to that hospital before, that was sorted and we were out within 30 minutes, x-ray was suspicious so now we await a consultants review by next week or sooner if required.

Anyway, now the wheels have started turning it looks like progress in diagnosis (or not) is being made, we just hope it isn't what we think it is, if you know what i mean?

Cheers

Ian

Hoping all is ok with your wife's health once the consultant has reviewed the X rays.

To simplify healthcare spending figures the NHS budget is £116 billion for 65 million population or about £1800 per head per year or under a fiver a day each.

Is that enough to have the finest healthcare as soon as we need it?

Of the 9% UK GDP healthcare spend about one sixth or 1.5% is private healthcare spending.

£150 per head per month? That is jolly cheap for the average 70 year old. But it certainly isn't cheap for the average 30 or 40 year old! You'd get private health insurance for less than that!  It means for a typical family of 4, the NHS costs £7,200 per year! 

I have a similar problem with my GP (having to phone at 8am and when you get through they are all gone)

I found ways round it....

- Stand at the receptionist's window at 8am, this always works.

- Phone and ask to be rung by a doctor, they normally ring an hour or two later and if necessary give you an appointment.(No choice of GP though)

- Some appointments are released at midnight and when you register for the on-line service you can book one online early in the morning. Not sure how many GP's have the on-line stuff.

Hope this helps.....

Apparently 85% of the money spent on you over your lifetime by the NHS is incurred in the last eighteen months of your life.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried the merry go round of ringing at 08:00 in the morning for an appointment and been told all the appointments are gone for the day, even though I phoned at exactly 08:00. then asked if I can make an appointment for the next day, and failed.   After 4 days I gave up and went to the surgery and asked why I couldn't get one even if I phoned at exactly 08:00, how could all the appointments be booked even If I was the first one to call?   The receptionist  (they have special training don't you know)  said I have to call at 08:00 tomorrow morning and after pointing out that I had tried that for 4 days she said I'll try and fit you in if there is a cancellation.   Never called me back so I went to the surgery again in the afternoon and as luck had it one of my doctors was in the reception so I asked him first why I can't have an appointment.  He just said come in to my consulting room now,  made me a cup of tea and we had a nice chat (Thought they were rushed of their feet). 

I can remember on 'Question Time' years ago, a lady in the audience asked Tony Blair about this very same problem and he replied quote - "it's not supposed to work like that"  nothing changed of course.

• Like 1

Spot on, I remember that same Question Time!

Spot on, I remember that same Question Time!

I didn't think you were as old as me :d