s2000 starter kit, anything else i should order?

Steve (sdh2903)

Hi All

Following from my other post ive made my mind up to order an S2000 starter kit. Id love a complete kit but finances won't allow at present. My current order sheets includes:

-Starter kit

-Exterior ally panels

-Fw rear

-Widetrack front

-Fuel tank kit

-Fuel pipes

-Steering rack

-Front uprights and hubs

-Ball joint kit

-Engine and gearbox mounts

I did have the springs and shocks on there but i can get them slightly cheaper and matched through Blink or Procomp, Can anyone confirm the lengths are 14" for the widetrack front and rear? Also if anyone has the details for the mounting eyes, are they bushed or bearing? hole size? Oh and spring details?

Is there anything else i should be ordering for starters? I'd wondered if it was worth ordering the main wiring loom before space gets restricted? Maybe the handbrake stuff?

Cheers

Steve

I'd be installing the wiring looms once the fuel and brake pipes are on, before the suspension is in place, as access is easier.

You'll need the main wiring loom and the engine loom, the ecu loom can wait till nearer the engine install.

At the front, you'll need to install brake disks before assembling hubs to uprights.

If you want to top out the brake system at this point, then you'll need callipers, obviously! Along with rear brake discs, but you'll need to build a little more of the rear suspension up, so you'll need:

At the rear, well, actually, I'm not sure what you'll need to go with the Mazda diff. On the Sierra version you need hubs and stub shafts, maybe very similar on the Mazda?

Thanks dave. I'm using a sierra diff. Just sourced a 3.62 lsd that will be getting overhauled.

That's interesting about the looms I'd only thought there was the car loom and the loom from the donor engine I wasn't aware of another one.

I'm just up to reading the 12th page of your build. Lots of good info!

Have you downloaded the buil manual? It will give you an idea of what you will need.

You will need the engine loom of the s2000 to send to WF so they can fit the plugs onto the engine loom.

Ps just make sure you order parts well in advance as it can very frustrating when waiting for parts.

You may have already started looking but if you haven't,

Find an engine.

There getting more difficult to find.

Haven't downloaded the manual yet, where is downloaded from?

I've started to make enquiries on an engine and box, yes they do seem to be getting more scarce and prices on the up too.

Glad to see the beginning of another S2000 build. I wont be lonely here , as everyone else disappears into the sunset on Vtec !! Engines.......... yes a minefield. Early engines have a breather in the middle of the rocker cover at right angles , later comes straight out the cover horizontally. Early cars have a cast iron clutch slave cylinder , not an alloy one. Just a couple of visual differences that I found out after buying a 'newer' engine. The one at Stoneleigh on the WSC stand , I believe, cost the guy 4k !! . Its a bitter pill, but when you get one, buy on condition and not always mileage. 

I have a Mazda LSD coming with mine due the scarcity of the sierra diffs. We also have a new chassis fabricator in the last couple of weeks, so , lets hope they do a good job in getting them straight !

Just to clarify one of the previous posts, you'll need to send Westfield your original Honda S2000 loom, once you have one, so that it can be sent to Omex for the construction of the ECU loom. As the name implies, this is the loom that connects spark plugs, fuel injectors and key engine sensors etc to the ecu.

In addition, because Westfield now use a modular loom system on most of their cars, you will need a Westfield standard chassis loom and a Westfield S2000 engine loom.

The S2000 engine loom basically contains the various engine specific connections unique to each make and model of engine, such as starter, alternator, oil pressure gauge sender and water temperature gauge sender that need to plug into the main loom, but are not ecu related.

The manuals are on the WF website.

Powder coating? If I was to do it again I would have a bare chassis so I could cut all the bits that aren't used then have it powder coated.

Here's the FW one never seen a s2000 one!!!

http://westfield-sportscars.co.uk/showroom-brochures/fw-special-edition-build-manual/

Cheers guys.

Yes after reading more of your build diary dave I'd sussed the looms, I've added both to my order today.

Powder coating wise, I'd contemplated getting it all done locally but struggling to find somewhere local with a big enough oven who don't want to charge the earth. Plus if it's done by westfield and it starts to flake then it's there issue to put right. Don't even get me started on powder coat it was one of the reasons my last kit went back to the manufacturer. You've now got me even more paranoid as it was a new chassis welder that welded it up too!! I hope westfield fully vet their new supply

With regards to engine obviously less mileage and a good maintenance history are key, but what sort of mileage is TOO much? If it was a more commonly available cheaper power plant I wouldnt worry so much, but as you say these are getting tricky to obtain. I actually thought today,what happens in 5 years if my engine goes pop! Suppose there's always an ecoboost swap..........

Westfield have a drop box link they will send you if you ask, containing the "manual" as it stands plus photos and other bits and pieces. The manual isn't complete but is useful along with the build blogs on here. So far I've managed to find answers either in the manual or on here, failing that Mark Walker at Westfield is very helpful.

• Like 1

If you can stretch to it and are fitting the Widetrack suspension try and save a little for some ARB's - they really would be worth it BUT not the Westfield solution.

Look at the offerings from either Playskool or Siltech; these are what we would recommend - it is easier to fit the rear bar whilst assembling the rear suspension.

Fitting ARB's would make a slight difference to spring rates and final Geo.

HTH