Looking for a Good Helmet. full face. Advices?

maurici

Well;

Yesterday I was in Anglesey with my car, and Adam... and despite the really bad conditions (60mph wind, salt and sea water spray ruining all the videos...) , was a memorable day having a lot of fun with the westy.

But... I found that my helmet is rubbish.

My Race helmet, is really old and don't want to use any longer, and the motorbike helmet that I'm using, is fine for cruising, but, not good enought for really high speed. (my head was flapping like a doll) and not good with breathing and ventilations... so... after 3 laps, a lot of steam in the visor ruining my experience.
In spain, I've never had this problems because our weather is a bit less extreme... so... you, experienced aeroscreen westfield owners, please, can you recomend me a good helmet?
Conditions:
Full fia (or latest MSA) approved.
good in breathing and antifogging .
lightest as possible and thought for open cars, avoiding have my head flapping away...
The money is secondary, even, as always, best value preffered over a "Carbon fashion super expensive helmets"... even carbon is very cool...

The Autosport show is due soon at the NEC Birmingham  (January).  You would be advised to go there and try as many helmets as possible for fit and comfort.   It's how I chose mine and there will be many other exhibits to interest you, or should I say relieve you of a lot of money.  It's a good day out and plenty of forum members will be going.

Yes but.

Even if is a very confortale helmet... will be impossible to know the "on track" behaviour.

would preffer some opinions from owners telling this model that brand... never had problems of foguing...

and... I'ld like to buy ASAP.

Never had problems with fogging or lifting and I run three different helmets, an FM motorbike helmet (this has a breath deflector which can help fogging), an OMP Grand Prix 7S helmet for sprinting with HANS posts and a Koden SA2010 helmet which was my first approved helmet for sprinting. I've used all three throughout the course of this year without issue in everything from long road trips, trackdays and sprint events.

With fogging, it might just be that the seals around the visor have gone in yours and you just need a new helmet or visor, depending where the seals are. I also use rain-x anti-fog to clean my visors, no idea if it helps or not but it keeps them clean!

Edit to add: also make sure that if it's a cold day and you've got a scarf/buff/neck warmer on, it doesn't block the ventilation from under your chin - I've found this to be the main problem with fogging - your breath can't escape underneath so naturally goes up and mists up the visor. It'll clear straight away if there's good ventilation but won't if there's not!

The buffeting issue is more likely to be a seat height/aeroscreen issue as I have very little buffeting in mine (AA composites interchangeable screen). Can't remember what aeroscreen Ads had on his but some are better than others. The only time I've ever experienced unbearable buffeting was as a passenger in a friends Westfield where the aeroscreen was very low, only about an inch or two above the scuttle. It really hurt my neck to the point I had to hold the chin of my helmet steady. That was definitely a low aeroscreen issue!

Hope that helps.

For days when it is stupidly wet, I've found that anti-fogging spray on the inside of the visor is the only way to see anything. The amount of vapour overcomes the ventilation. When you put a wet head inside a helmet, good seals just keep the water vapour inside. I've used Muc-off Premium Anti-Fog, which works well. A bike dealers will be able to offer something.

Plus 1 on what BCF says. A scarf, or buff can block up the ventilation around your chin and make fogging worse.

For new helmets, try before you buy. Peoples heads are different shapes and what fits well on someone else could be uncomfortable on you.

Jen

You dont specifiy budget - I've never had any issues with my V2 Pro which is a nice price and the duckbill acts to stop lifting speed. 

http://www.v2sport.com/Pro/V2pro-black-snell-sa2005-msa-standard-racing-helmet-with-chin-skirt-for-open-cabin-vehicles.html

I use a shoei helmet and would would recommend it, quite expensive at £480 but good in all weather and around the track, you can also clip in a pin lick to the inside of visor which stops it from steaming up.

Take yourself to j&s outside northwich for a wide range. I have a shoei but only because it fitted me best. Take your head and let it decide. A good helmet with Aero will work well. I have a tiny aero screen and it works fine to very high speeds.

I have this one http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/47669

Shoei XSpirit 2 - you will see that in most cases motorbike helmets are cheaper than car helmets. Reason being that car helmets need to be fireproof for FIA as you can imagine in most cars you dont get out as quick as a bike. However for our cars a bike helmet makes more sense as its most focussed on protection from hard objects such as the road, stones etc which you dont get in a car.

Any bike helmet will work in the same level of protection but the ones like my link have the bib and spoilers for preventing high speed lift which we need.

Its your head but I would never buy a helmet without trying it on in a shop for comfort.

i did all the internet checks and wanted an Arai but it was not comforable, Shoei is perfect for me as an individual - really encourage you to make a personal choice after wearing a few different ones.

All good points but I think the OP is looking to compete in the speed series next year so needs the MSA compliance, currently SAH2010. I agree about the motorcycle helmet approach for road use, that's what I have, but then obviously have a snell approved one for the speed series. I do not experience any of the issues OP has mentioned and still question if it is a head height to aeroscreen height issue for the buffeting, and a scarf/jumper issue blocking under chin ventilation?

• Like 1

Exactly. I need a Fia/msa helmet.

Im looking for some bell helmets, but dont want to wait untill ending of february for the gp3 as I expect to have some more track in the middle.

Si. I Think the bell carbon rs7 will be the one. Is a bit more expensive than expected, but, a good friend is importing it in spain, so, pay in pounds vs euros is allways an adventadge.

Probably, the bufering issues are due my height. Nothing to do with this... I can't sit lower. Im not that tall... but seems that my body proportion is too long in the middle and short in the legs.

A good helmet, designed for open cars with improoved aerodynamics will help. (I hope).