URGENT APPEAL late XE oil pump

B.RAD

If the sump is still off, remove a bearing cap and check?

• Like 1

Think it's the pressure release valve sticking, I've fitted a spare from a nearly new early pump and that is stuck fast, as the old one was. No reason to suspect anything in the engine at this stage as it was all running perfectly before. Also don't think the pump has disintegrated as we've drained the oil and it, and the sump, is all clear. But in order to sort the PRV, I'll need to remove the pump anyway as access is so restricted, so I may as well replace!

I've got a work 'bring your other car for charity' day on Friday and as I've been talking so much about the car, I'd really hoped to be able to take it. Sadly looks like that's not gonna happen :(

Never mind, main priority is sorting for MIRA on 8th August (subject to further conversation with Mr R! ;) )

A sticking pressure relief valve on XE's is well known

It is possible to remove by making a small tool with a bent large split pin that you can use to hook the valve and pull it out with pliers. Even with a tight space this is usually possible. Then clean the valve and carefully emery the outside for a perfectly smooth finish and refit

remove with small  Allen key  find a 15mm piece of copper central heating pipe  fit it in the valve and put in a pillar drill and polish with fine wet and dry and wd 40.

Thanks for all the replies, comments and help guys, much appreciated :t-up:

Mart (marto303, hero, legend and proficient rum drinker) & Ro (lotus driver & equal measures legend) took pity on me and took custodian of ol' red during the course of last week. We sourced two "OE equivalent" pumps, one a FAI pump from eBay sold by a company called Trechii and the other supplied by a local factor, Beds Batteries. The FAI pump was utter poop, horrible casting with myriad cracks and poor quality, on the other hand the Beds Batts pump looked good - really nice casting and good gear movement. To be fair to FAI, it looked like a rubbish pump sold in a FAI box rather then a proper FAI item. Mart and Ro got the good one fitted after giving the engine a full check over and it's all good now - strong oil pressure again & I'm back up for MIRA next week! Even managed to pop in to the charity event briefly to make a healthy donation to restore some karma!!

Huge thanks and a hearty recommendation to my good chums Mart & Ro - I'm forever in your debt!

Oh and an order has been placed for a dry sump system with SBD .............. Ouch.

• Like 1

• Like 1

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.