Small claims court - have I got a case?

Captain Colonial

Can you satisfy the court Burden of Proof test based on the preponderance of evidence?

What evidence is there other than your recollections? Do you still have a receipt for the meal?

Maybe best to Google small claims court to read up on the procedures.

Also where is your nearest court? Many have closed under cost saving re-organisation so could involve a fair journey to make your case.

Good luck.

Scott. Its £50 - forget it and get on with the rest of your life.

Or sue your wife for leaving her coat in the pub  :d

• Like 1

If you have no proof such as letters, emails, recordings you are not going to win in a magistrates court.   It was just a verbal agreement between you and the pub manager so forget about it.  

Treat Hazel to a nice new coat of her choice, you'll be well in there Scott.

Do I have a case?  Am I being unreasonable here?

In my opinion. No? Yep, for sure

OK all, thanks for your opinions. :)  We'll leave it at that.

All I will say is that if the situation was reversed, I knew the exact date and time the customer was shortly returning and had promised to keep it safe (which they did), I would have done so.  If I had failed to do so, then I would have at the very least admitted my error, apologised and offered some sort of compensation such as a reduction in the bill at the next meal, none of which I got.  But then I guess I was brought up in an age when one tried to do the right thing and accepted responsibility for one's own actions and errors.  It's the principle, not the value.

What I do know is that I'll never eat there again, and will actively discourage everyone else I can from doing so - and that will cost them a lot more than £50.

It's a good thing that the fine volunteers at the Stoneleigh Autojumble do a better job. :t-up:

Let's move on people, no more to see here... :d

Coat was left, if it was that valuable to you then 20 mile round trip is nothing to fetch it.

Forget it move on lifes too short

Cleggy may give you a good discount on a new coat for SWMBO, personally I would be aggrieved about the way they lost it. buy hey ho its gone.

Bob :(

But then I guess I was brought up in an age when one tried to do the right thing and accepted responsibility for one's own actions and errors. 

What I do know is that I'll never eat there again, and will actively discourage everyone else I can from doing so - and that will cost them a lot more than £50.

As you should, it was your responsibility to get off your A*** and go and get it.

Now you want to give them a bad name, because you cocked up.  :angry:

Its appalling that a sue happy culture is happening here in the uk, and its for that reason that people don't bother putting themselves out for anybody anymore.

I remember when people used to stop and help people when they broke down etc, now you daren't in case you get sued or stabbed  :angry:  :angry:

As you said , take responsibility for your own actions.

• Like 1