Alloy Radiator - where / who please

peet

If you have oil and water temp issues, the best thing to do is fit a water / oil heat exchanger and not just chick extra water at the problem. The 2 are related. Hot oil = hot water, Cooler oil = cooler water.

I would research an oil laminova. Procomp motorsport make and sell very reasonably priced items that will suit your needs

From my understanding of it, the Laminova 'loads' the water with the oil's heat though, so it might make a water temp issue worse!

Agreed that a tuned engine used on track definitely requires a beefier rad, but for sprints and road use it wouldn't be necessary.

From my understanding of it, the Laminova 'loads' the water with the oil's heat though, so it might make a water temp issue worse!

Agreed that a tuned engine used on track definitely requires a beefier rad, but for sprints and road use it wouldn't be necessary.

Absolutely agree and that is the point I was trying to make. The alloy rad gave me enough cooling capacity to keep all fluids at the correct temperatures without the need for an oil only radiator.

• Like 1

I'm afraid that I feel you have something else amiss with your cooling system if you feel you need a larger radiator. Many a car that has more power than you uses a Polo rad on track days with no issues. Have you looked at blocking the perimeter of the rad inside the nosecone to force air that goes through the nose to go through the rad? Also, venting the bonnet / side panels helps as it improves air flow through the engine bay

I'm just trying to save you going down the expensive route of a custom rad when others don't need them

I think I would have to disagree about the necessity for a larger rad. My previous car, a standard 2.0 Zetec on TBs with a very modest rev limit, had a Polo rad and would never deviate from the thermostat temp during road driving / blatting. As soon as it went on a warm track day the needle would creep up and up, and I would have to let it cool down when it reached ~110. My current car is much more highly tuned and there's no doubt in my mind it wouldn't cope with a Polo rad, especially with the Laminova dumping extra heat into the cooling system.

I do completely agree that there's no point just lobbing a £300 radiator on the car for the sake of it though, and it would be worth seeing if it works fine with something more standard first :t-up:

It also depends on the engine.  When I changed from a Pinto to an XE with 50% more power, it ran cooler, I suspect because the water pump/flow was more efficient.  This is with the old style (Imp?) radiator.

I've cut open one of the louvres on the bonnet, so the hot air has somewhere to go.  Sucking air out is better than trying to blow it in

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.