First 6 months of Ownership...First Service Time

CraigHew

As per the oil comments above. I doubt the air filter will need washing yet! I'd fit a K&N which just need a quick brush off annually and a wash at 50,000 miles. It's all about the volume of air sucked through rather than the time on the car with air filters unless you're somewhere very Dusty (Andy and Mandy ;-) ).

http://www.knfilters.co.uk/air_filter/honda_s2000.aspx

Funnily enough Ian, I ordered a K&N filter on Thursday (I've always been a fan) although I needed a 76mm flange size. great feedback from everyone, can't wait to get stuck in.

I do agree with not needing a specific all-in service as such, but a jan/feb tinkering session will get me set up for the driving season...

I recall looking at that, but to be honest, thought it looked too generic and left critical gaps in everything bar fluids.*

(I was assuming at the time, that Adam being Adam, was doing a whole host of weekly/frequent checks that just weren't included on the schedule. Which is OK if you're as methodical and thorough as Adam, BUT, if you're not sure what to do, and not doing the regular checks, the schedule above gives no clue about them!)

• Like 1

Mmm true, no substitute for regular spanner checks but useful as a service history if you ever sell the Westy on to show some level of maintenance. Or even a reminder when you last changed something. I've added bits I've done during the years to the pages too eg ball joint replacements, tra k rod ends etc

Hi Craig, just to help you sleep easy, when I drop my sump off ready to fit the anti slop tray, I'll take some pics before cleaning to give you an idea of what you may have seen. I'm sure all will be well in this respect. You can't go wrong with a K&N.

• Like 1

Hi Craig,

Sump is off and is very clean:

dirtysump_zps71363502.jpg

and now it's even cleaner!

cleansump_zps477a30cb.jpg

This is a 2004 48,000 mile engine. I'm sure a ford or Vauxhall engine would be full of sludge at this age/mileage.

Best regards,

Ian

• Like 1

wow, thanks Ian, I'm convinced...

• Like 1

That's pretty much how mine looked too. Mind you, it's as much testament to the additive packs in modern synthetic oils I suspect.

Many years ago, I pulled the original XE out of my Westfield ready for a major rebuilding. To keep the car on the road, I picked up a spare. My low line sump and powder coated cam cover went on the spare prior to dropping it in the Westfield, the engine looked normal for an 80/90000 mile XE, I ran it like that for a year, using my usual Silkonene Pro Race synth oil.

When I took the sump and cam cover back off, it way way, way cleaner! In fact the aluminium head now looked much like the picture of the sump did, above. All the normal lacquer build up and staining that had been there a year earlier, was gone!

Mind you, all similarities between the inside of the XE and the F20C end there! It's like opening up a giant pocket watch when you look inside the Honda, every surface seems to be either beautifully machined, or flawlessly cast.

• Like 2

One thing that surprised me was how much oil was still in the upside down block once the sump was removed though. I'm not quiet sure why it's not drained out of the sump bung.

It does catch and gather in oil ways etc, specially when the engine is stone cold. Warming them up before oil changes helps get a bit more out in a quicker time, but there always will be dead spots that just catch and hold small quantities.

Not sure on the air-flow volume miniK_Nfilter_zps8c296770.jpgthrough this K&N, but it's cute....

• Like 2

Sweeeeet!

I had a similar looking one in my last car, when I first built it. Made the, what in my case, turned out to be a mistake, of fitting it directly to the cam cover breather.

Unfortunately, that seemed to just cause any fine oil mist to condense out inside the filter and slowly drip through after a few months of use, onto the inlet manifold.

I ended up fitting a catch tank, and using the filter on one of the connections. The daft thing was, in all the time I had the car, the catch tank never got more than a teas spoon or two of oil in it, so I'm guessing all the oil that lodged in the filter prior to that, would normally never have made it that far out of the cam cover.

• Like 1