My visit to N.Motorsport

Steve M

I spoke to Paul last week and he did come across as very knowledgeable and helpful - but as I am a bit of a noobie in these things, I like to know what the 'collective' reckon on items like this!

I'm the same as you Steve, mostly road and odd trackday, so will be opting for the long first and roller bearing upgrade rather than going full-on close ratio malarky ;)

Can anyone with better understanding of gear ratios than I do give me some advice

Longer 1st. gear means you are not revving the nuts of it at 10mph which is what mine was doing with my old box, the ratio was over 3.3 ish, I can't remember the exact figure.  The lower the gear ratio, the better for our cars but these lower  ratios are more more expensive as you can see from 1st Motion & BGH prices.   Anything under 3 is better than you presently have.

As for waiting time, yes both these companies are busy in the autumn/winter season, it's when everyone has there rebuilds and upgrades done, mine took 2 months.

Longer 1st. gear means you are not revving the nuts of it at 10mph which is what mine was doing with my old box, the ratio was over 3.3 ish, I can't remember the exact figure. The lower the gear ratio, the better for our cars but these lower ratios are more more expensive as you can see from 1st Motion & BGH prices. Anything under 3 is better than you presently have.

As for waiting time, yes both these companies are busy in the autumn/winter season, it's when everyone has there rebuilds and upgrades done, mine took 2 months.

Thanks Sootysport

I had a lengthy conversation with Chris at BGH earlier & at the end of it, I ordered an E6 type 9

Waiting time is 3-4 weeks, just looking forward to driving it now after the mt75 box.

• Like 2

:yes: A good choice Steve. 

:yes: A good choice Steve.

I hope so Dave, it seems a well worthwhile upgrade though

I will update this thread for those interested when I return to N.Motorsport in aprox 4 weeks time to collect the car, really looking forward to the 1st drive.

• 4 weeks later...

Getting excited now !!

Headwork complete & head fitted to block , BGH type 9 delivered this morning to N.Motorsport, Motad carbon silencer should be complete by Monday.....

• Like 1

sounds awesome - i would love to see what that looks like 

More important James - is how it drives.     I think Steve will be in for shock!

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update....

Fingers x'd I'll be collecting the car next week, after I've watched it being mapped (yeh I'm excited !)

Not sure wether to go the carbon dash route now though

Received a few pics from Troy at N.motorsport earlier, thought I would share them, really pleased with the tunnel fettling they have done as the BGH type 9 sits further forward than the mt75

Not sure about the Quaife gear knob, it might grow on me...

67623E94-8BD2-4BD4-AEE9-891B05D4A414_zps

C5CA35BE-8511-4A5E-BC7A-2FEA4E7882BF_zps

New Jenvey throttle bodies with Bosch injectors

9EC2C813-6797-428D-B253-50AEDBE0A631_zps

New Westfield carbon 6.5 silencer being fitted to New Raceline 4-1 manifold

A6408E61-EA2B-4671-99A8-508E0D6F2822_zps

65AE1803-D1CD-448F-A5CB-115223639F58_zps

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I think you would end up spending a lot more on the Duratec engine change than what you have now and be off the road longer.    Your well in time for the spring weather on it's way.

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an update....

Fingers x'd I'll be collecting the car next week, after I've watched it being mapped (yeh I'm excited !)

Not sure wether to go the carbon dash route now though

Received a few pics from Troy at N.motorsport earlier, thought I would share them, really pleased with the tunnel fettling they have done as the BGH type 9 sits further forward than the mt75

Not sure about the Quaife gear knob, it might grow on me...

67623E94-8BD2-4BD4-AEE9-891B05D4A414_zps

I really like that, Are the screw just black self taping screws? Any ideas where i can get some? Will they react with the ally?

The problem with most gearbox ratios in kit cars is that you really need a longer first gear to make it easy to drive due to the lack of weight in the car to give the sensation of 'pull'. The other drawback is that most engines rev more freely than in a conventional car and so unless you run a very low diff ratio (eg 4,44 to1 or lower) then theoretical top speeds can be 150mph + with the more common 3.6 / 3.9 ratios which is not good at making best use of your engine's characteristics. The problem here is that 4.44 to 1 or less diffs are like rocking horse manure

The ideal gear ratios for use with the more commonly available 3.6 / 3.9 diff would be to have a modestly long 1st gear but with a top gear ratio of greater than 1 to 1. For example 1.15 to 1. Most 5 speed boxes have something like 0.85 to 1 which makes matters worse and far from ideal. The first gear aspect is easy to achieve but finding a set of gear ratios with the ideal top gear is near impossible unless you go to a sequential gearbox or a hard to find low diff ratio (eg greater than 4.44 to1)