Brake refurb

wackydo

Of course all the above comments are based on pure speculation ? These new ones may exceed the OEM girling /ATE units ? If they were sold by wsc this thread would be long locked :-)

BIG RED still gets my vote tho .

Nope, mine were based on experience of trying similar in the past. In both M16 style, and last January in Golf rear calliper style. The quality of the castings for the Golf callipers wasn't great at all. RFC'd them.

I've seen a few M16 callipers that members have picked up, the cheap ones have pretty much confirmed Jeff's comments.

casting finish Unsurprising really what about performance ? , there must be a fair few in use What with kits and classic Ford's. .

I'd imagine if you avoid the cheap stuff on Ebay, the M16s sold by the likes of Rallydesigns would have to be of a measurable quality.

Oh absolutely.

It's interesting if you do a Google for the difference between OEM, OE and simply pattern parts, the difference between the different levels of "quality" they have to adhere to. (I use the word quality loosely, as a bit of a catch all term for tolerances, accuracy of manufacture, finish, materials etc)

There is nothing necessarily wrong with an honest pattern part. I've used cheap pattern part copies of the Polo rad before now, aside from not actually being flat, (it was a bit banana shaped, when viewed from above), But it worked well enough compared to a Valeo OEM part I'd had previously.

The problem is with a lot of the Chinese supplied stuff, and I know lots of manufacturers in different fields, including automotive, that the parts can be very variable; the supplied parts in some instances being barely comparable to the engineering samples supplied to win the contract.

One of the biggest areas of issue is the metallurgy. With intermittent batches of sub-standard metals being used very common in certain parts of the market and at certain price points. Whilst it's relatively easy to visually spot many manufacturing faults,  poor materials are a much trickier one to weed out in QA.

Brilliant, that's what I was wanting, a good discussion on why I should be paying Bigg Red to do the refurb for me.

It helps me to feel I've done the right thing with my money.

I should apparently be getting them back towards the end of next week.

Tony

Use of the word quality is just fine....as long as it's not used as an absolute. Qualify it first!

Stuff is generally cheap for a reason.

Expensive is more difficult as paying top whack carries no guarantee of top quality.

Expensive is more difficult as paying top whack carries no guarantee of top quality.

Well exactly!

There are two types of expensive..... One is top quality and worth paying for.

The other is over-priced poor quality, selling on the basis that people may assume expensive = better.