Small Emergency Fuel Cans (they even fit into an FW boot box)

CraigHew

I've moved this over from Parts Wanted in case it's of use to wider forum readers:

I'm still getting used to my car and, like an idiot, trusted the fuel readout on the DASH2 to be accurate.  (my BM and even my wife's SLK are pretty accurate when it comes to alerting you to the number of miles left in the tank etc). ANyway, up near the EVO triangle in North Wales (wow: what great roads they are...!) I ran out of fuel about 4 miles short of the Petrol Station I was aiming for.

It was quite a shock as my Dash2 still reported 18 on the readout (that's 18% left in the tank).

After pulling into a pub carpark with severe fuel starvation, the car died on me.  Quite a good decision in hindsight given the twisty narrow road I was on).

A very kind guy picked me up about a mile down the road and took me to the petrol station and back: he wouldn't take any payment either...!

So, after a late night on google and looking at a few options on Ebay, these are the boys for me

Ebay Item 171445851430

http://www.ebay.com/...=item27eaf81526

They're called FuelFriends, designed and made in Germany.  They have quite an impressive specification.

And what do you know, the importer for the UK lives only 15 miles from my door.  A quick phone call and a drive out and I've bought 2 x 2l robust containers that, at 85mm wide, slot nicely into the FW boot (I say boot, I should say slot) so now I can carry 4 litres of spare fuel in relative safety.  

TBH I've never been a fan of carrying fuel, but always an empty can which was a life-saver yesterday.  However given that my car's fuel tank is actually behind my seat now, and nearer than these fuel cans, I think the benefit of not having to walk to the nearest petrol station outweighs the risk.

:d Well Happy

• Like 1

Very useful but a little expensive for what it is ?

I know what you mean about carrying fuel...

As a 'locost' alternative I have a standard 5L plastic can sitting on a sheet of polystyrene fixed with a big wide luggage strap to the tank supports under the tank.  (I have no bootbox as I have a swirl pot). 

I know what you mean and have had a can in the FW boot for quite a while. I'v got a 5 little can something like this one its not a perfect fit and has distorted the boot box a little but its held snug. I guess you could get a couple in if you wanted to and it pays not to leave anything in the boot for any length of time with it.

If I was gonna store a fuel can behind the seat I'd go for the Rotopax 5 litre one.  A bit pricey at £55 but really good product.

£13.50 plus £3.50 p+p for a 2 ltr bottle, you gotta be joking!!! :laugh: I'd rather use a 2 ltr milk bottle. :oops:

Seriously though when on a run in the country I carry a 5 ltr can full in the boot of my ZK bodied car, after all it's just above the fuel tank so I reckon it's safe enough ???

I can get 4 no 20litre jerry cans in my westfield - enough for a run to yeovil and back without having to worry about finding a garage open :-)