WIN 8.1 recent used docs?

dombanks

im giving win 8.1 a fair chance on my new laptop and so far i have to say i don't mind it. I've customised the start screen thing with all the tiles i like etc which i find useful. (its much better for my dad who used to just have a desktop full of shortcuts)

its annoying the way all sorts of crap appears when you go near the egdes of the screen or touch the mouse pad wrong but i guess i could turn them off.

but the bit i really find frustrating is the lack of a recent documents list.

in win 7 you went to start and every one of the pinned programs (like word ppt etc) had a little arrow that allowed you to view the recent documents. Ive figured out how to get to recent places so which directories ive been in but not a recent file list.

i know i can pin them to the task bar and right click but i dont want loads of programs pinned down there as it takes up space.

anyone know how to get a recent docs list?

There are several ways. The first thing to mention is if you know the name of the file just type it in on the tile screen every reference to what you type in is found and you can click to open. Secondly any program running (eg load word) will have recent files listed when you right its icon in the desktop bar. So the last 10 documents that program has used will be listed. Another tip is that if there is a document you use often you can pin it to that recent file list so it will show that file at the top of the list and the last 10 recent files.

You don't have to pin the program to do this it stores them anyway.

Hope that helps

Paul