Bridge Camera

Barry Ashcroft

How does that one compare to the panasonic fz72 I linked to earlier. I'm going to buy tomorrow and want to make the right choice.

Personally I think you will get frustrated with a bridge camera for this type of photography. You are after something with a very good sensor, and a lens that won't be soft in focus when using it apertures like 2.8 ish. Most pro lenses are slightly soft at this aperture so you end up using it around 3.2, so the lenses on a bridge will more than likely be soft as well. If I were you I would be looking for a DSLR that focuses quickly and a good sensor. Not sure on your budget but I would look at a Canon 7D with a 70-300mm lens. You can find them second hand as well. Try a company called MPB photographic, I have used them and know lots of Pro photographers who use them as well. If you have a larger budget go for a Canon 5D mk3, you can't go wrong, its a brilliant camera. 

Cant really help with bridge cameras though, sorry!

My biggest frustration with a Fujifilm bridge is shutter delay. For motorsport enthusiasts instant shutter response like my old 1976 Rolleiflex 35mm SLR is of paramount importance. I have so many shots of empty track or back halves of cars you wouldn't believe!  :bangshead:  I resort to 'machine gun' mode and delete the bad ones.

Well I've gone for the TZ72 so fingers crossed

My biggest frustration with a Fujifilm bridge is shutter delay. For motorsport enthusiasts instant shutter response like my old 1976 Rolleiflex 35mm SLR is of paramount importance. I have so many shots of empty track or back halves of cars you wouldn't believe!  :bangshead:  I resort to 'machine gun' mode and delete the bad ones.

Hope I'm not telling you to suck eggs here but have you tried switching "auto focus " off ?

They can take an age trying to focus on a moving object , esp with higher zoom settings , better to pre set the focus before you start shooting ( assuming you have the option you could try using shutter priority ) 

Bernie, thanks for the idea, suggestions always welcome, but I do not have the option to switch it off. However I can 'pre-focus' and 'pre-expose' by means of the half press of the shutter button. There is still an appreciable delay between the final 'click' and the actual frame grab. Maybe I should spend a bit more on a camera but that brings other, more domestic, conflicts...  :oops: