Double Glazing - what sort of price bracket?

John K

Gents,

Posting this question here might not be as stupid as it sounds.

Having a Westie puts us in the "appreciate engineering and probably have money to spend on quality stuff, but we don't want to waste money (so we don't buy Caterhams)" demographic.

So I am looking to get replacement DG for...

10 windows (normal sort of house mix of openers etc)

1 bay

2 doors (for composites, not the ones based on double glazing frames)

Hoping to find a decent local company so I can talk to them direct. Want to avoid the major national chains who have to support big overheads and can hide behind lawyers and the travelling bodgit and scarper merchants.

Any folk offer some between X and Y figures?

Appreciate this is massive finger in the air stuff.

Cheers

• Like 1

Local firm near here has just quoted me tor 9 widows and one bay.

No doors just the above .

Was expecting around 3 to 4  thousand.

quoted £10031.00. which included muliiple buy discounts

Shoved the guy through the door a.s.a.p.

Ha - wait until you get quotes for sash double glazing because you live in a live in a semi-detached Victorian house located in a conservation area.  Next door neighbour replaced upper and lower bay windows and standard size upper floor slash window.  He's a keen shopper and no fool, so did his homework.  £12,000

Bear in mind the house has seven other sash windows as well and it soon becomes a mug's game to replace the lot.

Good luck - I'd certainly do my homework and use a trusted, long-established local company.  Check with Trading Standards as well to see if there's any red flags.

Double glazing is one circumstance where you can barter hard providing you can move quick.

I had initial quotes of 14k for 9 windows and 1 door. Was told 11k first of all, told him I wasn't born yesterday and that I'd do it by the end of the month. They have sales target to hit so this guy clearly wasn't near them and cue 15 minutes of "best price is" and "let me talk to my manager" got it for 3.4 k in the end

Rough top estimate would be £300 per window, 1k for a bay and 750 for a composite door, so 5.5k for your job.

I'll do it for £20k.  if you sign up tonight :) .   Sorry the offer is not available tomorrow :(

double glazing has to be the worlds biggest rip off since Christine Keelers drawers  :)

About £4800 for ten windows and two doors (one as part of a porch add-on).

Many thanks for all the guidance.

The quote came in overnight, £7.8k without any fancy option like laminating the frames.

A bit of haggling to get him to six and a bit and I think I will be ok with that.

I would like to use him as he is local I know where his factory is and most importantly was recommended to me by a chippy I really rate and trust.

I do know a few other trades in the area so I will get some more character references.

Cheers

Just had 10 windows and 1 composite front door fitted for 5.5k. I used a local firm, so no pushy salesman, just a great service. They were on checkatrade. I had 3 local companies round to quote for the work, went with the cheapest.

Jas

I spent a bit more for Monarch Aluminium.  The frames are thinner and it doesn't start to look tatty after a few years.