I'm not sure I'm gel'ing with Westy ownership

Deako

Daeko - give it time mate - a month is nothing in car time - you could always do a good road trip :-) 

Setup is good. Oversteer is nicely balanced. I think a fresh set of boots would help, certainly for inspiring confidence, but it's certainly chuckable.

Power is something I am missing. But it's no slouch. It's running the 1800 MX5 lump with torsen diff. More is always fun though.

It's not setup for extensive road trips either. No weather gear. It's too mint to go fitting weather gear too as well.

Daeko - give it time mate - a month is nothing in car time - you could always do a good road trip :-)

Agree. 1 month is nothing, but if I'm looking at alternative cars already then it's like a curtain call.

A car that doesn't have me looking in Pistonheads classifieds for a good 6 months after purchase will mean I'll have it for at least 12 months. Doesn't happen often.

IMHO, given the cars you have owned, and the compromises a Westfield has, you probably need one with more power to make it fill in the gaps you are presently missing. 

Never fancied a porche to be honest found them to be too pretentious 911 in particular seem to be bought for the name. Especially when my next door neighbour deliberately cut me up in his. I got my laugh though as he really gunned it and you could see him looking in the mirror at a car his lower class neighbour had built in his single garage happily keeping up and I just was laughing all the way home. He overtook I overtook and caught him up each time. Naughty and childish but safe fun.

I know with top down it is a much better raw experience. You don't get much closer to a race car for the road than a westfield on my opinion.

IMHO, given the cars you have owned, and the compromises a Westfield has, you probably need one with more power to make it fill in the gaps you are presently missing. 

could be this maybe :)

IMHO, given the cars you have owned, and the compromises a Westfield has, you probably need one with more power to make it fill in the gaps you are presently missing.

I think if it was solely a track car, I'd be in my element. But this is also a Sunday drive car, weekend blat, road trip car. All rolled into one, and I think the compromises are too many.

Commuted in it a couple of weeks ago on dress down Friday. Wife had my laptop bag on her lap, her laptop bag wedges under her legs. She even compromised by skipping the handbag. It was a "challenge".

I think I just ignored all the compromises when I was looking for one. Rose tinted specs. But it would be nice to be able to commute easier every now and then on nice days.

You may have a Westy that doesn't suit you.  The spread of comfort and performance is huge and you might be wise to get yourself a) to Stoneleigh to see the range of members' Westies and b) to your local club to have some rides.  The difference between a BEC and a V8 is astonishing although the 0 - 60 times may be similar.  Above all give yourself some time  :)

Comfort is good. It's a nice road car too. Very we'll built. It's not detrimental to its setup. I really do not think Westy ownership may be for me. I am definitely single minded once I get an idea in my head. We shall see how the next week goes. Just transferred my cherished plate over, so if I did decide to sell that will be another £105 to the DVLA. :p

As in life if you're not happy with something then change it .

Not too sure why u are asking for advice on a forum full of more than happy westy owners ?

Not too sure why u are asking for advice on a forum full of more than happy westy owners ?

Sorry. Where else should I discuss it? A Caterham forum????

Only if you are moving over to the dark side........

Sorry. Where else should I discuss it? A Caterham forum? ???

A Porsche forum maybe?

You'll only get a one-sided view here, you'll get a one-sided view on a Porsche forum too but then you can weigh up both sides of the argument yourself

You've got to do what's right for you. There's no point being unhappy everytime you see the car, you'll just end up resenting it.

As has been said, solo blatting, or even just a run out with another car isn't always "enough", a good run out with even a smallish group - three or four cars, is a different experience again, and really starts to bring home the "Westfield" experiance. It's the same on track, too. If that's your bag of course.

I would recommend doing an area meet or two, and try and sample one or two area events/runs before reaching a hard and fast decision.

If you'll forgive me though, I think one or two of your posts sort of read like you've already decided you want rid of the car and were looking for justification from the Boardroom, I don't think anyone was "having a go" or having a dig at you. 

It's just that the majority posting here will love and enjoy their Westfields and just want to try and help you do the same.

The other point, that was well made is that Westfields can be so different car to car, that two even similar looking cars can feel hugely different. So much so that you wouldn't believe they were related, let alone based on the same kit.

It does rather sound like you've bought one that is just a bit too tame feeling for you. But it's still perfectly possible to have something a bit more aggressive in terms of performance, while still having a perfectly fine cruiser/weekend car.