Differences

Norman Verona

The Daily Politics show on BBC now.

Andrew Neil asks two people what they think about the LibDems proposal about couples sharing the maternity leave.

The lady journalist thinks it's a good idea because it gives people flexibility etc.

The man, a political worker, says he can't understand why the LibDems have raised the issue as it's hardly likely to increase their ratings.

So, it's got nothing to do with a good idea for the publics good it's all about coming up with ideas to get votes.

Someone remind me why we are fed up with politicians.

Of course, Yoda

But you (as in everyone) votes them in.

And this is the fundamental problem with politics. Trouble is if you had a set who genuinely tried to do the best for the most without playing the re-election game they probably wouldn't get elected let alone re-elected. Why? Because 'we' are all stupid.

I have always voted for the party whose policies seemed to be in the best long-term interests of the country. 

No party I have voted for has ever been elected so, as a result, my views are never represented in our parliament.

And that is what is fundamentally wrong with what passes for democracy in the UK at the moment...

It seemed to start in earnest with Tony Blair. "Tell us what policies would make you vote for us and we'll say we believe in them". The cold hand of Mandleson at work. Sadly they all seem to eschew real views in favour of some sort of supermarket fire sale of populism - never mind whether it's your party's long held belief or not. It doesn't really matter because they'll do what they want when they're in anyway - to Hell with the manifesto promises! Lying is the norm, and truth rarely spoken until retirement and memoir writing time. 

I often think it's all a merry-go-round where the sole current group of politicians divide themselves into Group A and Group B. A gets in and makes some unpopular but necessary changes (agreed by both groups in secret, despite the furious protestations by the 'opposition'), they get voted out next time round and Group B comes in. They don't reverse the Group A actions, and introduce some unpopular policies of their own, get kicked out, and so the carousel turns full circle. The anarchists had it literally right when they said that whoever you vote for, the government gets in. This way both left and right are variously satisfied over a decade or so, democracy seems to be working, but the professional politicians maintain their grip, and we pay for it all.

That is the problem with Democracy it can only play for the short term, we know a lot of the pain that is being suffered at the moment is about fixing long term issues and i suspect the best long term solution would be even less favorable now and therefore it can't even be looked at because at the next election you would loose. I not sure the opposite, a Dictatorship, would fair any better, it seems that even if they start with the best of intentions power always corrupts eventually.

I always reckon a despot is the best bet - at least you know you are screwed and there's no pretence at caring what you think.

Politicians typically have three states of being AFAIK. Thinking about lying, actually in the act of lying, just lied and working up to the next one. There may be one or two odd exceptions - I think I met one once.

Well, let's do something about it.

I'm sure a political party could be launched using Facebook & Twitter. Get some donations from the wealthy and away we go.

The aims of this new party: To do the sensible thing to give the British subjects the best that can be done. To understand that a politicians job is to provide the money and environment so experts can run the services. To understand that, as politicians, they cannot run anything.

It can be done and, I think, after 5 years the British public will see it's happening and vote them back in again.

And that's probably all that's needed. After two terms all the career politicians in the Labour and Tory parties will be gone to the jobs they've lined up and the new generation of politicians will understand they are there as our representatives to look after our interests.

Or am I dreaming again. 

Sadly you're dreaming Norman. The existing parties would just have to introduce a special allowance where you get a free 50" TV to their election manifesto and you'd be finished. Or am I too cynical?

I'm going to takes frustration with politicians out on one of my local councillors at the next opportunity I think. Sadly none of them frequent Facebook unlike the lot next door to us.