Vauxhall Vivaro tow bar

matt nossiter

Has anyone got any recommendations, advise or suggestions as to where and what make towbar to buy for a Vauxhall Vivaro and how easy are they to fit ? . I want something that's as close to OE spec as possible but without paying OE prices if I can !

Try the usual suspects Witter,Dixon Bate if they are still going, towsure, local suppliers etc etc. At one time you could get the fitting instructions on line as well which help in costing or farming out. My locally supplied and fitted bar is the exact same Westfalia as manufacturer uses but £300 cheaper. I needed a complete cross member fitting. Its usually the electrics which can be an issue but mine just plugged in. They did need a computer reset once fitted to get the car to speak with the bar otherwise could be DIY depending on whether you have the fancy canbus system is that what its called.  Pretty clever stuff till it goes wrong. Do you know anyone in the motor trade who can get it discounted being from Bedfordshire are there any Vauxhall employees about who can get the usual 20% discount, you will have to get it fitted and there are mobile fitting companies of unknown pedigree about.

Bob :)

I run Thule on my X-Trail and it is excellent - have a variety of Witter and Dixon Bate on other vehicles.  Thule unit is small compact yet sits nicely proud of the bumper :-) 

i have fited three or four on my vivaros trafics etc , really easy to do 30 minutes work ,they are all the same fitment appart from genuine ones , you can get a local mobile towbar fitment guy to do them fitted between 120 and 150 so sometimes not worth p******** around yourself ,all tow bars have to be approved now so no worries on quality

steve

Look at towsure. A friend in France bought one from there and it was about 400 less that the Skoda item even including the postage. The electrics were fine, a small electronic box, easy instructions and took me a few hours to fit.

Ed to add, Matt, if you live near the M1 and want one from towsure, I'm around the corner from them (Sheffield) I can pick it up and drop it off as we go past next Suhday.

Your local caravan dealer is usually the best port of call,  As Steve D says no more expensive than fitting one yourself and less hassle. My last couple of cars took about an hour to be done.

echo what SteveD said - I have had mine fitted too for the warranty....

If you're in/near the countryside local agri engineering places are great for this stuff too. Tend to be the cheapest of all the proper fitting places, from when I last checked such things out.

i found the last one on a recommendation from the local trailer hire company.

My son had one fitted on his 2010 vivaro for £170.  Can't think of the manufacturer at the minute, will check when he gets in, its a very neat bar!.

As Steve said hardly worth doing it yourself for the price.  I have fitted them myself in the past, but a lot of outfits appear to be very competitive, so not worth the hassle.   Never been particularly impressed with Witter; their tow bars always appear to be on show, where many others try their best at disguising them behind the bumper.  I've had Brink and York in the passed.

Same as above - had a Witter fitted to ours for under £200 and the guy came to work to do it for us. Looks like a lot of hassle to fit if you haven't done one before (I hate electrics).

I've done a couple of whitter bars on my Vivaro's and Trafic vans. Price it up but dont be afraid to have a go yourself. The electrics are easily accessable behine the rear lights.

Thanks for all the advice ( and for the kind offer Norm, I'll let you know ) . I don't mind crawling underneath and having a go at fitting one myself, and don't mind cutting and soldering a few wires if I have to, or do they come with plug in looms ? . The other thing I've read is I might have problems with the rear parking sensors , can anyone shed any light on this , think I read some where that they need to be disabled when the trailer is hooked up ?

Thanks for all the advice ( and for the kind offer Norm, I'll let you know ) . I don't mind crawling underneath and having a go at fitting one myself, and don't mind cutting and soldering a few wires if I have to, or do they come with plug in looms ? . The other thing I've read is I might have problems with the rear parking sensors , can anyone shed any light on this , think I read some where that they need to be disabled when the trailer is hooked up ?

the sensors only work when in reverse so nothing to worry about as you dont really reverse that often when hitched up if you think about it , it never bothererd me having them beep slowly while reversing as the trailer is at least 3 ft away , no need to disable them imho

When I had a company tin top, the tow bar had to be detacheable because the reversing sensors picked up the tow bar itself.  As soon as you plugged a trailer in, the reversing alarm was immobilised by the electrical wizardry.

My son had one fitted on his 2010 vivaro for £170.  Can't think of the manufacturer at the minute, will check when he gets in, its a very neat bar!.

As Steve said hardly worth doing it yourself for the price.  I have fitted them myself in the past, but a lot of outfits appear to be very competitive, so not worth the hassle.   Never been particularly impressed with Witter; their tow bars always appear to be on show, where many others try their best at disguising them behind the bumper.  I've had Brink and York in the passed.

It was a PCT towbar that was fitted; very neat looking on the Vivaro any way!