HELP!

James Spicer

Hi can anyone help??

I have been competing in sprints and Hillclimbs for a few years now. I am in the process of selling my current vehicle and looking to get a Westy specifically to join the Westfield speed series (which I know very little about).

I will need to drive to and from each event and would like to be able to use the car on the road as well so I guess the road going class is the way to go.

Due to a forth coming house purchase I will only have about £7k to spend but would would like something with a bit of grunt. I am seeing a lot of live axle cars which I am worried about being terrible on the road and maybe worse on the circuits? Does anyone have any experiance with these or can offer any advice?

I am in the process of selling my car so not quite ready to buy yet but almost. I would to get an idea of what I should be looking out for.

I am a member of Pistonheads and have seen the following two cars:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/westfield/all-models/awesome-yellow-westfield-se-2-0-zetec-jenvey-injection-digi-dash-1990/1080379http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/westfield/all-models/awesome-yellow-westfield-se-2-0-zetec-jenvey-injection-digi-dash-1990/1080379

I have requested a P/X price for my car on the above so hopefully some news soon. :) I have enquired and it is a live axle car though.

I have also seen the car below which looks fantastic value but I am guessing at this price also live axle

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/westfield/all-models/westfield-1-8-zetec-throttle-bodies/1080101

Any additional suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

James

Both my cars have been independant but lots of people have competed VERY successfully with live axled cars. General opinion seems to be that live axles are lighter.

As long as it not too bumpy then live axle cars are great and much easier to set up at home - as you dont have to worry about the thrust line.

1st Westie and a live axle here. Didn't even know I had one till I was told. Bought the car on how it drove and looked.

Some of the experts will tell you a live axle can be better than independent on a race track as it's smooth. Some pros swear by them.

What I think I'm saying is font let a live axle put you off :-) This car is 200Bhp at the crank, and cost me £5k......

On the lanes its is fine. Anything bumpy enough to upset the live axle would prob be unpleasant in the Westie anyway.

If I buy another Westie I'll prob look for a live axle again.....

live axle here and mine is lovely - thanks to Martin Parkes work over the years and Northampton Motor Sport for setting it up for me lately... go for it and have fun!!!!

Another vote for a live axle, I only use it on the road but find it to be excellent.

Also agree with Pistol that the geo set up is easier to do with basic equipment etc.

Thanks for the response, that helps a lot. Most of the cars I have been seeing close to the £7k price range have had in the region of 160bhp. Would anyone know if this is enougth to be competative in the road going classes?

Imho better not to worry about power and get the best condition you can. There will be much more time to be found in the driver and you will upgrade as you go along and have the budget.

Was going to say 'can' but feel 'will' is more accurate :).

My first upgrade would be a close ratio 5 speed gearbox if it isnt fitted already , probably the best performance improvement you will do , then perhaps fit an LSD which I think is cheaper to do with live axle cars , certainly the quafe ones are :t-up:

Would only worry about extra horses once you get it all set up nicely and get used to how these cars drive ;)

Thank's very much all advice is much appreciated. Looking forward to a new season and getting to grips with a Westfield. I met a few Westfield owners at Gurston Down last year, not sure if they were from the speed series but they all seemed really friendly. :)

The best upgrade you'll ever do is to join the club. You'll need all the advice you can get in the future.