Quaife QBE26Z6H 6 speed sequential gearbox - NOW SOLD

Steve243

Rarely available Quaife 6 speed sequential gearbox in perfect working order. This is a straight forward type 9 replacement box with light weight alloy casings. in has been removed from my 2000s as part of an upgrade program being carried out by Northampton Motor Sport. Gearbox can be viewed and collected from NMS. Price £2500.

what are the gear ratios?

This is a synchro box. i have no idea of the gear ratios as i bought this car 12 months ago with the gearbox fitted.

Would this be synchro or straight cut gears?

Just to avoid confusion, synchromesh and straight cut gears are two different and unrelated options on uprated gearboxes.

Straight cut refers to how the actual teeth are arranged on the cogs. Typical normal road cars have helical cut teeth, if you looked at a cog from the side, all the teeth appear to run diagonally from the front to the back face of the gear. This means that all the gears have more than one tooth meshing with their partners. It's significant quieter, and because the load is spread out across the other teeth, stronger for any given material. Straight cut on the other hand with just one tooth meshing have that typical loud gear whine, (and while technically its a weaker design, the uprated materials for the gears normally make them stronger than the standard cogs). The straight cut arrangement offers much less drag and internal resistance so doesn't sap as much power as a conventional helical box.

Syncro on the other hand refers to how the gears are actually engaged when you change gear. There's plenty of detailed descriptions of how it works on the web, but essentially it's a way of offering smoother, easier gear changes by matching the speeds of the two cogs that you are about to engage when you change gear. This "slows" the gear change down somewhat and provides a weak link in the gearbox, but is perfect for road use, especially when changing gear at low revs. Dog boxes on the other hand have no internal method of synchronising gears during a gear change, that's for the operator! They actually have a sort of ring of teeth on the face of the cogs to lock them in place. This means the the gear change can be incredibly quick, it also opens up the oportunity for clutchless gear shifts. Plus its stronger. However, you now have no weaker sacrificial synchros, so wear will take place on the gears/dogs themselves. They require more technique to use, and some find gear changes at light throttle openings tricky.

it's a way of offering smoother, easier gear changes by matching the speeds of the two cogs that you are about to engage when you change gear

Just for clarification, I'm not contradicting anything my learned friend has just said, the gears are in constant mesh. They have hubs which "connect" the drive of one set of ratios to the main shaft. The synchro ring is a brass or steel ring which sits in between the two sides of the hub. As you move the gear lever one hub is drawn apart and the other is engaged. The synchro ring gets the two sides of the hub to the same speed before the teeth of the hub engage.

Oh, OK it matches the speeds of the two cogs.  :)

This is a synchro box. i have no idea of the gear ratios as i bought this car 12 months ago with the gearbox fitted.

steve, you may have more luck selling if you do a bit of research about tge box, wouldnt have thought that many people would part with £2.5k and not know what exactly they are buying.

They will be buying a Quaife 6 speed sequential gear box that is in perfect working order that has come out of a proper 2000s Westfield built i believe by a guy called Paul ot Mark Hands, he decided not to use the Elite gearbox as they were unreliable so he decided to use a Quaife box instead. I agree £2500 is a large chunk of anyones money but compared to the cost of a new one it is rather cheap i think. The car it come out of (which i own) has a Dunnell engine producing 270 bhp. the reason it is for sale is that i am making some changes to car including a new Quaife 60G box with a closed loop geartronics paddle shift system, no other reason. The car is known to Troy at NMS and although he cannot guarantee the box he is happy to confirm it is in  fine working order. i dont know what the gea ratios are, but as mentioned before is was mated to 270 hp Duratex, ran 15 inch wheels and went like stink suggesting the ratios were well matched.

A second hand gearbox like this rarely if ever finds it way onto the used market and represents i would have thought a great opprtunity for anyone wanting to upgrade their car or are building a new one but i could be wrong ! cheers Steve

Steve, if you can get the full product number it should fill in the blanks the above require, as i was looking for ages for one, and just bought a Elite via Troy

QUAIFE 26Z 6-speed dog engagement gearbox with top gear 1:1 (Alloy maincase) QBE26Z611

QUAIFE 26Z 6-speed dog engagement gearbox with 5th 1:1 and 6th overdrive (Alloy maincase) QBE26Z6OD

QUAIFE 26Z 6-speed dog engagement, helical gearbox with 5th 1:1 and 6th overdrive (Alloy maincase) QBE26Z6H

6th OD could be either 0:871 or 0.930 as factory options

I never said it was expensive just trying to help you get a sale.

OK, the gearbox is as follows

Serial no E26Z 404

Ratios are as follows:

1st         2.7
2nd        1.9
3rd         1.53
4th         1.22
5th          1:1
6th          0.84

It was supplied new in 2007 and was subject to a refresh and rebuild in Nov / Dec 2011 at a cost of £1200 by competition transmissions, since then has only done a few hundred miles.

Thanks

Steve

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.