Changing my xr4x4 rear pads

Rush Motorsport

Rush Motorsport

Continuing my theme of having enthusiasm but not that much actual mechanical talent, Im picking things up as I go along.

Changing the pads all round. Ive done the fronts with minimal fuss and was very proud of myself.

Now I've never changed rear pads before so forgive me.

Ive got the caliper off and the old pads out. It looks like its a wind back type so Ive used my caliper wind back tool to no effect. I can't get the piston to budge!

I haven't disconnected the handbrake cable. Is this why it won't go back, and if so....how do I disconnect the handbrake?

Cheers!

Not sure on your particular brake set up but some rear calipers wind back in rather than just push back. Used pipe grips in the past to do this with protection on the jaws.

Rush Motorsport

Success. Turns out I wasn't putting enough leverage on my tool. Ooerr

SootySport

You need to disconnect the handbrake cable on both sides, change the pads, bed in the new pads ,  then re-attach the the handbrake cables and adjust. May need re-adjusting after a few miles.

Rush Motorsport

Went for a run let night to bed them in and everything seems to be working ok. hat are the implications of not disconnecting the handbrake?

FWIW, the old pads were hardly worn, I just replaced with a better compound.

Russ I have never dissconected hand brake cables to bed in, that's my understanding why you wind the pistons back in then you pull hand brake lever up and down a few times to reset hand brake

Rush Motorsport

Great stuff. they seem to work anyway!