Home security Camera

adamnreeves

Anyone got any experience or recomendations forthe above. I am after a camera that connects to my WiFi that will stream over the internet to my PC. Good quality image. Night vision. Motion detection. etc.

Do you have a budget in mind?  And what's your reason for wanting it?

Mate of mine has a fairly cheap Maplin effort that he likes but it's only really any good for seeing "a person" or "people" approaching the property (i.e. you'd be hard pushed to identify them) or that there's a car on the drive (doubt you'd read a number plate using it).

There's an outfit CCTV42 that gets a lot of mentions on PistonHeads but their kit is a lot more expensive (seems much better though).

(I'm also looking around at the mo, as I want to be able to see visitors arriving whilst I'm in the garage, so interested to see what others come up with)

Budget, well I was thinking around £100 but if I need to spend more I will. Reason. This sounds daft but I noticed a car the other day parking outside my house. It was partially blocking my drive and as I looked at the car, person ducked. I then went inside and car drove off. Didn't really worry about it too much. This was a few weeks ago. Then this evening my son mentioned he saw a car parked on the road a bit up from us and people ducked as he walked past it and then it drove off. My wife then mentioned that a car parked outside our house at 03:00am. I'll call the police tomorrow on the non emergency number.

Can completely understand wanting to keep a lookout.  Gut feeling is that if you want to do anything beyond knowing when it's parked there, you might need to spend a little more (especially if you want to record the footage without murdering your PC in the process).

That said, if it's a car you want to look out for, there's a £35 one mentioned here: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=207&t=1236438 that might be worth a look?

Thanks for the info guys. Actually tired of looking now! I've gone from a single IP camera to a 4 channel DVR and 2Megapixel HD night vision cameras with pan and tilt control.

I think I would resort to old fashioned surveillance and knock on their window and ask what they are doing :d

A decent fake security camera might be enough to see rid of them

I think I would resort to old fashioned surveillance and knock on their window and ask what they are doing :d

Do it on you're way home from baseball practice too...

Get the registration numbers I would do that especially if you saw behaviour like that, and if you have any valuable and desirable metal. As you said you are contacting the police make sure they take proper notice, it helps sometimes to exaggerate matters a little.

The lad who got an axe held to his throat in Birmingham during a car robbery is distant family; it has been devastating for the family especially the parents and grand parents.

Budget, well I was thinking around £100 but if I need to spend more I will. Reason. This sounds daft but I noticed a car the other day parking outside my house. It was partially blocking my drive and as I looked at the car, person ducked. I then went inside and car drove off. Didn't really worry about it too much. This was a few weeks ago. Then this evening my son mentioned he saw a car parked on the road a bit up from us and people ducked as he walked past it and then it drove off. My wife then mentioned that a car parked outside our house at 03:00am. I'll call the police tomorrow on the non emergency number.

Of course, it might be the police who are staking out your house...

• Like 1

There are some cheap CCTV video recorders on ebay for about £50 ( without HD) ,they have internet connectivity for remote monitoring ,  No experience but have been tempted. You can connect virtually and camera to them ( again ebay) . If I was in need I'd probably go this route.

I actually have a secondhand non internet HD recorder I picked a couple of years back second hand , which has worked fine with cheapo ebay cameras. Black and white cameras "usually" can view in infra red light for night vision, colour cameras often have IR filter to keep the colours correct. 

bit of a tit man myself too., top shot is from an inbox camera taken with IR light at night, where this bird used to kip ( the Circles on the back wall are from the IR LED's used)

uvs050305-003.jpg

IMG_0040.JPG

Thanks for the info guys. Actually tired of looking now! I've gone from a single IP camera to a 4 channel DVR and 2Megapixel HD night vision cameras with pan and tilt control.

upgrades before even starting - good work!