1st Westie....in at the deep end!

Jontysafe

I'm happy for you! Sounds like everything's working out perfectly! Glad you got across Brum without issues, but south is far better than north and I'm guessing you were straight on M5.

I thought mine was fun with 1800zetec and 150 horses! I had more horses/turbo on one before. Off boost wasn't too bad, boost came in almost like a TD engine and wasn't nice when wheels kept spinning at around 65-70 when I put foot down to pass someone on the motorway.

It's the same pistons, rings, bores and to a point every engine builder has different recommendations. The only reason you do acceleration/deceleration is to seal the bores. I'm keeping it below 4000 but not being religious!

• Like 1

OK, forget all the rubbish I just spouted. I assumed you had new pistons and rings.

• 1 month later...

Having a really disheartened few days with the car. I took the car over for a rolling road intake temp check and afr check and it turns out I had a water leak and on further investigation the whole alternator mount had fractured because the pulleys were out of alignment. I have had a custom bracket and adjustment bar made at HUGE expense because nothing would fit off the shelf. So great, new water pump gasket fitted they tried to start the engine and.........no spark. Bear in mind nothing has been touched apart from the alternator. Have ordered a new ignition module but really don`t know if it is that.

Could the wiring to alternator effect spark? Nothing on king lead and no 12v live to coil. According to this wiring diagram there should be with ignition on.

http://www.bigturbo.co.uk/main6.htm

The ECU is live, fuel pump is priming. Any ideas?

fuse for the coil? i would have thought that a garage would be able to check if the coil pack was faulty or not. at least be able to check if there was a signal from the ecu to fire it. try disconecting the alternator as the car will run without it just not for long until the battery is flat.

crank sensor ,check that first that its not been damaged or disconnected ,your engine bay is full and tight so easy to knock or miss something

I've asked then to run through diagnostic checks on ecu to rule out sensor faults. As crank sensor was the first thing I thought. It's also down on the front of the engine where they were working.

Off on holiday on fri and I want to know its running before then or I will worry!!

• 2 weeks later...

quick update:

I`m on hols and car is still stumping the garage. Have replaced Ignition module and run a separate live to coil to no avail.

I`m sending them a new crank sensor but I don`t think it`s that. I have a funny feeling the ECU is fried :(

I think I`m going to have to recover the car and send it to Reyland.

jeez, good luck with it Jonty - sounds like a load of hassle mate....

quick update:

I`m on hols and car is still stumping the garage. Have replaced Ignition module and run a separate live to coil to no avail.

I`m sending them a new crank sensor but I don`t think it`s that. I have a funny feeling the ECU is fried :(

I think I`m going to have to recover the car and send it to Reyland.

I wouldn't get to worried until the crank sensor is fitted , it might be worth getting another pair of eyes to look over it ,that can sometimes be worth it

Apparently the live 12v to coil is switched supply so should always be live with ignition on, injectors are now confirmed as pulsing so ecu is not fried.

Crank sensor won't solve no live to coil I'm told?

Apparently the live 12v to coil is switched supply so should always be live with ignition on, injectors are now confirmed as pulsing so ecu is not fried.

Crank sensor won't solve no live to coil I'm told?

not on my omex it's not. it gives a three second feed to the power relay when Ignition is turned on. my power relay runs the lambda, coils, and fuel pump. when you start cranking the engine the cps will send a signal to the ecu and the ecu will close the relay again, sending 12v to the coil and fuel pump. same feed from the ecu then also closes my relay for the injectors.

I don't know what ecu your running and the wiring layout could be a multitude of differences but thought I'd post my setup to show that you may not necessarily have perm 12v with ign on.

is there 12v to the coil when cranking? if the cps or cps wiring is an issue then the ecu won't know to close the relay (if that's how yours is wired up).

can you not get connected to the ecu to see if its getting a signal from the cps when turning over on the stsrter motor?

whoops just seen your link above. the wiring diagram suggests that both the ign module and coil are perm switched live. is the ign module getting 12v.

I wouldn't take the wiring diagram as gospel though as previous owners may have wired things differently

First thing I replaced was the ignition module. Want this sorted for next weekend as want to take the car to Gurston!