1st Westie....in at the deep end!

Jontysafe

Its frustrating waiting I know but it will be worth it and its not really warm enough to enjoy it properly yet ! Cheers Jon.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all, little bit excited as car "should" be ready, fingers crossed, by end of next week. The head is on its way back from an extensive porting session on Friday and Martin reckons he`ll be on my car first thing Monday.

We`re dialling the boost back to about 8 psi for run in, I wonder how quick I can do that? I reckon about 2 weeks! Just going to get out and enjoy the car.

• Like 1

hello Rob,

Good to hear from you, am actually writing this not far from you, am in Durham tonight. Been out for a few sherberts at The Market Tavern. Hope you`re well?

bl**** hell you should of said im only 8 miles away from there John tipically im at work at 6am as well, there is better places than there like down there lol...

Yeah im not babd mate hope you are too...

New trailer - your right and thank god it fits in the garage...Just.

I'm looking forward to the season now like never before. I even bought a set of new race boots. Happy days!

Hill climb school is a great idea. I know they do this at Prescott and I was tempted. I have a friend who Hillclimbs and he's trying to get me to do it too

The Prescott and Shelsley hillclimb schools are excellent. Strongly recommended.

(P.S. Sorry about the engine problems. I looked at that Westie, too, gulp! But my management wouldn't stand for it, so I ended up with a 1.8 Zetec which promptly blew up ....)

• 2 weeks later...

As usual I jumped the gun a wee bit, head still isn`t back yet! Gutted as weather is lovely and I could be running her in.

• 1 month later...

Fiiinally time for an update. Car is being collected from Brum tomorrow morning. Cant wait and it even looks as if the weather is going to behave, good job as I`m driving it home! Very excited.

Should be a thrilling ride!

Fiiinally time for an update. Car is being collected from Brum tomorrow morning. Cant wait and it even looks as if the weather is going to behave, good job as I`m driving it home! Very excited.

Should be a thrilling ride!

Good luck and have a great drive back! Sounds like an awesome bit of kit!

Dont forget to run it in JontySafe - or have they done that on a dyno??

I could probably do with some advice on that front. The bores/pistons were run in when the disaster happened. They weren`t touched because they didn't need to be. However shell bearings were changed, will they need running in or just bedding in?

I`m obviously going to talk to Martin at Reyland when I pick the car up but any thoughts?

• Like 1

I'd ask for specific guidance on rev limits and amount of throttle before driving it... :yes:

I'd ask for specific guidance on rev limits and amount of throttle before driving it... :yes:

Steady 70-75 all the way back from brum 100miles and Martin reckoned they'd be bedded in fine. Have just stopped off at my local, have basically been driving since midday. One word.....awesome! Engine revs more freely feels like its doubled in power off boost and boost now builds progressively and early when you think about the size of the turbo. Have really been enjoying myself! Can you tell?

Oh and edited to add, my earlier worries about traction were unfounded. The yokos are amazing at proper temps.

Jonty, to bed it in fully, I would do a a non stop (except for fuel) trip to, say, Aberdeen. Stay overnight and do same on the way back. Keep revs below 4000 and don't let it stay at the same revs for more than a minute or so, A few hundred up and down will do.

If you arrange to get it back on the way back for them to pull the head down and change oil and filter, you can then let it rip.

In my opinion 100 miles is nowhere near enough. I did non stop from Sheffield to Penzanze  and then back, getting the head pulled down and a final RR session to set the jetting. You won't need the jetting as it should be OK being the same engine, if you see what I mean.