Westfield GT 5000cc "Flymo"

RWDKurt

Westfield V8 GT “Flymo” for sale

Originally commissioned and raced for the GT race series in 1995 by Mike Smith against the likes of Mclaren F1s and Jaguar XJ220s

Built by Andy Dawson......Offers around £16K invited

A fabulous car. Might it not be worthwhile restoring the original FIA GT3 bodywork as its history may make it eligible for one of the Classic GT series? If that were the case I can imagine its asking price being considerably higher yet still a lot less than any of the alternatives. Time for a posh advert in Motor Sport?

Grannie Annie.

A fabulous car. Might it not be worthwhile restoring the original FIA GT3 bodywork as its history may make it eligible for one of the Classic GT series? If that were the case I can imagine its asking price being considerably higher yet still a lot less than any of the alternatives. Time for a posh advert in Motor Sport?

Grannie Annie.

Hi Annie - thanks very much for the suggestion - you ask a very good question. I need to find out what the eligibility are criteria first - any idea where I would start?

Its doubtful that it would be eligible for an historic Brit GT competition as the car was "booted out" / "banned" :down:  :down:  :down:  but might be worth trying a.n. other - it just depends on championship organiser and if they see the car as an attractive option for their championship :)

Its doubtful that it would be eligible for an historic Brit GT competition as the car was "booted out" / "banned" :down:  :down:  :down:  but might be worth trying a.n. other - it just depends on championship organiser and if they see the car as an attractive option for their championship :)

Hi Mark - I wasn't aware it was banned. On what grounds?

Kurt

to quick so p******** other drivers off and banned because it had no roof from memory so not a gt car

Probably because it was winning !!!

Yep sorry Kurt - not long after it competed at the Silverstone round of the Brit GT championship where the only thing it didn't seem able to get past was the McLaren F1 GT's - it was booted out - official statement was that it was not a true GT car with doors etc and not homologated - but it seemed to be a bit of sour grapes because all the other cars were around the 250k mark and the Westfield wasn't anywhere near that - as you may be aware it was Tony LanFranchi that drove the car in the Brit GT

Probably because it was winning !!!

exacterly wuv

Thanks guys. Nice to know it was that quick - but then from what I've heard Mr Lanfranchi was a mean peddler!

Of course it's much quicker now over short distances - I wonder what sort of times a talent of his ilk could post in it as a sprint and hillclimb car...

Yep he sure could pedal it - was a treat to watch :) most drivers from the circuit can post good times at sprint hill venues - its all about time spent in the seat - just take a look at the WSCC guys that have gone onto circuit racing and then returned for a few SS events their personal times are often considerably better, there's no better way to get faster than spend it on track :) in competition pushing the limits :)

Hi Mark - I wasn't aware it was banned. On what grounds?

Kurt

Kurt,

It certainly wasn't banned when it competed at the 1996 Snetterton FIA GT3 race (drivers Smith and Lanfranchi). It passed scrutineering OK although the Sportscar World report included, “There were inevitably quite a few mutterings about the car's legality from along the pit-lane, but the SEight was built to the exact wording of the regulations, so there was no doubt that it was legal.” Whatever, it therefore satisfies the FIA Appendix K criteria for classic/historic/heritage race cars.

In terms of in what series it could find a new home I don't have an immediate answer. It is effectively prohibited from the UK Classic Sports Car Club 'Modern Classics' series although it could fit South African 'GT Classic' rules and there must be ADAC races for older GT3 cars (Mike's German is better than mine ~ I'll get him to check). 

Grannie Annie.

Yes the Westfield did compete at Snetterton and Silverstone but did not undertake a full season of competition and was soon "made illegal" - sadly whether anyone likes it or not, thats the way the British GT Championship works - a lot of people earn a good sum of money from it - its a commercial enterprise always was and always will be, its not a clubby all mates together having a jolly time - The Westfield certainly wasn't the first or the last car to be "made illegal" in the Brit GT Championship - there have been a good few :down:  ;)  :down: and mostly those built on a smaller budget to others :down:

Drivers in all championships will always endeavour to push the envelope of legality its the nature of competition and car development, various championships choose to manage this in their own way to suit their championship - we as drivers always eagerly quote the MSA rule book, as can the championship organsiers to oppose any views if they so wish.

Scrutineers are there primarily to check safety and note any concerns to the individual Championship eligibility steward who then in consultation with championship organising team decide what to do - very rarely is any car in any championship stopped from competing for "technical irregularites" this is resolved after the event in whatever way the organisers/stewards deem appropriate.

Whilst not having a copy of 1996 regs to hand it is perhaps difficult to say whether the car was or was not built to the exact wording - there was obviously some ruling that the championship organisers and stewards used to make the car ineligible :down:  and stop it from competing further :( even if it was the car is too yellow :down:

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.