iphone question

Garry Bunn - Derby & Notts Joint AO

Suppose you have an old iphone 3 on a cheap tarrif (Voda but with good free minutes ,texts etc) cus its an old phone and you have turned down upgrades.

If you get hold of an iphone 4s or 5 and put the sim card in will calls, texts internet and all the apple stuff work ok?

Garry

If new phone is unlocked or same network as your sim then I think yes. I did the same but with a samsung android phone and all worked OK

You'll need to change your SIM for a micro or nano sim for iphone 4 and 5 respectively but your network provider should do that for free. Should work no problems then providing the new phone you get is suitable for your current network.

I'm about to get my Android Motorola Atrix swapped from Orange (UK) to a French sim. I'm told it will need unlocking and a new 3G sim.

If I do that I'll give up my French phone.

Before I start looking on fleabay ..... has anyone a 4s or 5 they wish to part with  .....and before you say anything Norman I dont wont your old French phone .... :laugh:

It's a Samsung something or other. Total rubbish. It switches itself off at random times. The touch screen sometimes works with a light touch and other times doesn't work at all.

Now it won't charge and is completely dead.

Th problem over here is that PAYG cards are time limited so run out, used or not, after about 6 weeks. Even with the lowest tariff I wouldn't use it all in 6 weeks. Probably make 1 call in that time.

I think iPhones store contacts on the phone not on the sim so you would have to manually re-enter your contacts etc. I could be entirely wrong though (but am interested to find out either way)!

If you backup your original iPhone you can restore it onto a newer one fine, using iTunes, as iCloud not available on older iPhones

You can also cut the SIM card down yourself, if your operator will not allow you to change sims, as they will try to get you on a iPhone tariff for more money sometimes

I have an iPhone 4 32gb that I keep meaning to put on eBay. Not one scratch on the screen as it had a protector on from new

I was on t mobile but it should be unlocked as my original phone was replaced at an apple shop. I can soon check if your interested

Phil

Phil.... pm sent

FWIW, I've heard bad things about the 5 (OH's 4 is out of contract soon so she's been looking into the various options).

Apparently they've changed the dock connector (so it's not backwardly compatible with the older ones, which is a PITA if you've already got docks/chargers aplenty) and the battery life isn't great...

Dock connectors are different, though you can get adaptors. Don't know about battery life issues though. (Still on a 4S).

I do though prefer the new connector, (the iPad now has it too), its not handed like the old one, so doesn't matter which way up its plugged in.

I have my iPhone linked to my gmail account for all my contacts, so when I change my phone etc. very simple to re-link with google and hey presto - all contacts instantly restored!

Dock connectors are different, though you can get adaptors.

OH seemed to think these were quite expensive though?  Not to mention the fact that I'm still on the Gen 2 iPod so they'd get lost when I took them out of the docks.